Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs


Contact Us

Office of International Studies and Programs
Central Washington University
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408
Phone: (509) 963-3612
Fax: (509) 963-1558

Incoming Exchange Students: J-1 Visa Application

Obtaining the J-1 Visa:

As an exchange student, it is necessary to obtain a J-1 Visa in order to enter the United States. The J-1 Visa can be obtained at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country. In order to obtain a J-1 Visa, you will need the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Passport sized-photos
  • Acceptance letter from CWU
  • DS-2019 Form
    The DS-2019 Form is created by CWU and will be sent to you once your application is approved.
  • Financial documents showing you can cover the expenses of your stay in the U.S.
    The amount varies with how long you intend on participating on an exchange. An outline of the estimated costs is included with the application.

Please Note: This is not a comprehensive list. You will need to check with the consulate or embassy in your country to inquire about any additional requirements or forms you will need in order to apply for a J-1 Student Visa.

For more information please contact Steve Cook by phone at (509)-963-3621 or by email at:

For more information on U.S. Consulates, please visit: Bureau of Consular Affairs or

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.