Role of the Vice President and Inclusivity
The Vice President of Diversity and Inclusivity will neither investigate nor adjudicate complaints relating to a bias motivated incident or hate crime. In the event of a bias incident complaint, the Vice President of Diversity and Inclusivity ensures appropriate services are made available.
- Appropriate medical referral (if needed).
- Referral to the Health and Counseling Center to meet with a counselor who will provide additional emotional support and assist victims in sorting out feelings associated with the incident.
- Provide advice on the university's discrimination complaint procedures, disciplinary action (if alleged offender is known), alternative housing assignments, academic assistance, and the role of advocate in other proceedings.
- Make every effort to contact victim/person affected within 24 hours and, while respecting whatever decision they have made, encourage them to get some type of assistance.
The Vice President of Diversity and Inclusivity coordinates the process of reporting incidents by:
- Encouraging person(s) affected to report the occurrence to appropriate Law Enforcement Agency for investigation and/or prosecution.
- Notifying the following offices (or others) as appropriate and with the victim's consent: Dean of Student Success(if the alleged offender is a student), Office for Equal Opportunity (if the alleged offender is an employee), University Housing and New Student Programs (if either the victim or the alleged offender is living in the residential community), Student Medical and Counseling Center, Academic Affairs (if the victim needs to alter course schedule), and the Office of International Student Programs (if either the victim or the alleged offender is involved in that program), Student Employment Office (if the alleged offended is a university student employee).
The Dean of Student Success maintains and provides appropriate statistical information by:
- Maintaining generic statistical information and providing data to Public Safety is required under the Clery Act. (The Jeanne Clery disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act - for information see www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/campus.html)
- Maintaining the confidentiality at the informal-service level with the exception of the mandated statistical summaries required by the Clery Act.