WHO MUST SUBMIT A CLEARANCE FORM FOR THE USE OF ANIMALS?
1. It is the policy of CWU that all research and instruction involving animals will be reviewed by the IACUC. The involvement of animals in research and instruction activities conducted by faculty, staff or students is not permitted until the IACUC has reviewed and approved the research protocol.
2. Pilot studies, pretests, and other "preliminary" investigations are considered research, and must be reviewed.
3. The following activities are exempt from the requirement for a Clearance for Animal Use and Care:
B. UNIVERSITY RESEARCHERS
The University's PHS Assurance requires the institutional review of all animal care and use, regardless of the funding source. All members of the university community who conduct research or teaching with living vertebrate animals must submit a Clearance Form for the Use of Animals for prospective institutional review and approval before proceeding with either the purchase of animals or the collection of data.
C. COURSE LEARNING ACTIVITIES
CWU Guidelines for Student Research and Class Projects with Animals
Review of Student Projects
Students may participate in course-related research projects and/or directed studies that are designed to provide students an opportunity to practice various research methods as well as data analysis. Within the quarter system, it can be difficult to complete a research project in a timely manner, but the IACUC wants to encourage such activities. Therefore, an effort is being made to expedite review of student projects.
If live, vertebrate animals are to be used as part of a class project which must be completed within one academic quarter, two options are available to expedite the IACUC review process in order to receive appropriately prompt approval:
1. Individual students (or teams of students, with one acting as the Principal Investigator (PI)) may submit Clearance Forms with 'Expedited Review' indicated on the coversheet, along the class for which the research project is assigned.
a. When expedited review is chosen, the response period for members of the IACUC to request a full committee review will be two days from the time that copies of Clearance Forms are received by all IACUC members (assumed to be two days from the time the copies are mailed).
i. If no full committee review is requested, the review process will default to Designated Review (see Section 5 for review process).
ii. If a full committee review is requested, a meeting will be convened at the earliest possible convenience of members, keeping in mind the time constraints of the quarter.
b. Approval is NOT automatic; class projects are still subject to the same review process as are any research projects involving animals. To ensure prompt approval, the onus is on the PI to submit full information, ensure that all relevant federal and state regulations are met, and to promptly submit any additional information requested by the IACUC.
2. An Instructor may submit a Clearance Form for the class projects in advance of the term during which the projects are to be completed.
a. If this option is chosen, the instructor is advised to submit the Clearance Form well enough in advance to allow for the normal review process, including the possible request for and submission of additional information.
b. The submitted Clearance Form must specify all possible species and procedures, and combinations thereof, that could be conducted by students, along with the usual justification of numbers of animals that could be used and the justification for the species, procedures and numbers. Projects involving procedures not covered on an approved Clearance Form are not allowed.
Responsibility of Faculty Sponsors for All Student Projects/Research