As an institution that accepts public support for its operation, Central Washington University has a legal as well as ethical obligation to develop and implement appropriate procedures for the care and use of animals in teaching laboratories and university-endorsed studies. Furthermore, the University's Assurance obligates the institution to comply with specific federal regulations.
Responsibilities of the IACUC include the following:
- Review at least every six months the university's programs for humane care and use of animals.
- Inspect at least once every six months the university's animal facilities.
- Make recommendations and prepare reports any aspect of the institution's animal program and facilities.
- Review concerns involving the care and use of animals at the university.
- Review, approve, suggest modifications, or disapprove of activities relating to the care and use of animals.
- Review, approve, suggest modifications, or disapprove of changes regarding the use of animals in ongoing activities.
- Is authorized to suspend an activity involving animals.
For further information, contact:
Dr. Jason Irwin, Chair
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
400 East University Way