Skip to body

Human Resources

Temporary/Hourly Employee Information

Temporary/hourly employees may not work more than 1,050 hours in any consecutive 12-month period, from temporary/hourly original date of hire (*rollover date) or October 1, 1989, whichever is later. If hours in all CWU temporary jobs exceed 1,050 hours in a 12-month period and the employee has not knowingly exceeded this limit, the employee has the right to request remedial action (permanent classified staff status). If you believe you are eligible, contact Human Resources at (509) 963-1202 or

Temporary/hourly employees are not eligible for benefits. Eligibility is based on an anticipation of work of an average of at least eighty (80) hours per month for more than six months with at least 8 hours in each month. See WAC 182-12-114 for complete eligibility rules. A temporary/hourly employee may be eligible for retirement plan participation work will normally occur at least 70 hours a month in at least five months of the year. Contact Human Resources at (509) 963-1202 or if you believe you qualify.

Time must be submitted online in Time and Attendance via MyCWU. Discuss time submittal with your supervisor. Paydays are normally the 10th and 25th of each month.

If you are a person with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation in order to perform the duties of your position or if you have any questions about the accommodation process, contact Human Resources at (509) 963-1202 or

Temporary/hourly employees do not earn sick or vacation leave or receive holiday pay. Time spent in a temporary/hourly position does not count toward completion of a probationary period, seniority, time in service for pay increases, or classified/civil service employment.

Temporary/hourly employees may contribute to the Voluntary Investment Plan, a tax-deferred retirement savings plan. See for more information.

Temporary/hourly employment may be terminated at any time before the expected end date with no right of appeal.

Temporary/hourly employees may become part of a bargaining unit, depending upon the position and hours worked in a 12-month period. If the position becomes a part of the bargaining unit the union is recognized as the exclusive bargaining representative. Employees covered by an Agreement are required to pay membership dues or a nonmember fee.

If you are returning to work within 24 months after a layoff from a Washington State job, you must notify the benefits office immediately.

All employees are expected to familiarize themselves with the following policies:

In addition, it is every employees responsibility to read, understand, and adhere to all university policies and procedures:

If you work more than 40 hours in a workweek, you may be eligible for overtime. Contact Human Resources at (509) 963-1202 or if this occurs or if you have questions.

Questions regarding your employment should be directed to your supervisor. If additional assistance is needed, contact Human Resources at (509) 963-1202 or


Affordable Health Care Act Required Notice of Health Insurance Marketplace

• Employees with health insurance coverage; generally, no action is required.

• Employees without health insurance coverage; review the following information to determine your options under the law.

This notification is required by law. In 2014, most individuals were required to have health insurance coverage. When key parts of the health care law took effect in 2014, there was a new way to buy health insurance: the Health Insurance Marketplace, (Health Insurance Exchange). Washington Healthplanfinder is the Marketplace serving Washington State residents. This notice provides basic information about the Marketplace as well as PEBB benefits offered by your employer and is intended to assist you in evaluating options for you and your family.

Employees with health insurance: All eligible state employees receive an employer contribution for PEBB medical plan enrollment and are not allowed to waive medical coverage to enroll in coverage through the Marketplace.

However, if the cost of a PEBB health plan to cover you (and not any other members of your family) is more than 9.5% of your household income for the year, or does not meet the “minimum value” standard set by the ACA, you may be eligible for a tax credit or other financial assistance.

Employees not eligible for employer contribution: Employees who are not eligible for the employer contribution for PEBB medical plan enrollment should consider applying for health benefits in the new Marketplace.

Visit for more information. For Washington State residents, visit:  Information about PEBB health plans offered by your employer is available online:

If you decide to complete an application for coverage in the Marketplace, you will be asked to provide the following information.

Employer name: Central Washington University
Employer Identification Number (EIN): 91-6000618
Employer address: 400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926
Employer phone number: (509) 963-1111
Who can I contact about employee health coverage at this job?
Human Resources: (509) 963-1202 or
As your employer, we offer a health plan to: Some employees.

With respect to dependents: We do offer coverage.

This coverage meets the minimum value standard, and the cost of this coverage to you is intended to be affordable, based on employee wages. Even if your employer intends your coverage to be affordable, you may still be eligible for a premium discount through the Marketplace. The Marketplace will use your household income, along with other factors, to determine whether you may be eligible for a premium discount. If, for example, your wages vary from week to week (perhaps you are an hourly employee or you work on a commission basis), if you are newly employed mid-year, or if you have other income losses, you may still qualify for a premium discount.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.