Human Resources
Mitchell 1st Floor, MS: 7425
Phone: (509) 963-1202
Fax: (509) 963-1733

Steps to Change Name and/or Gender

Students: To change your Primary name, a valid driver's license, passport or other legal document must be submitted to Registrar Services in Bouillon Hall. If you are a student employee, you must also have an updated social security card in order to change your Primary name.

Employees: To change your Primary name, you must verify your name change by presenting your Social Security card to Human Resources within 30 days of the change. If verification is not completed within 30 days, the request will be canceled.

name and gender change steps 1. Change Your Legal Name
   You may file a name change with your local district court.

2. Change Your WA State License or ID Card
You can change your name or gender markers on your ID at the Department of Licensing

3. Change Your Birth Certificate
After completing Steps 1 and 2, you can amend your Washington State Birth Certificate at the
Department of Health.

4. Change Your Social Security Card
You can change your name and gender marker with the Social Security Administration.

5. Change Other Documents
U.S. Passports, immigration forms, and veteran’s records can also be amended.  

6. Complete CWU Paperwork
To change your name, gender markers, or any other personal information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Phone: (509) 963-3001


Name, Gender or Social Security Number Change Form (PDF)

This page contains links to websites outside of The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.