Skip to body

Human Resources

CWU Accident Reporting

Central Washington University places a high priority on the safety and well-being of its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and visitors. We work together to establish and maintain a healthy and safe environment for all sanctioned activities and to comply with applicable laws and regulations regarding safety and health of students, faculty, staff, volunteers and visitors.  Accidents happen, however.

All accidents, injuries, and occupational illnesses are to be reported immediately, or as soon as possible, to a university official.  Accident reports are not used to assign fault, but to fulfill Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) reporting requirements, to help mitigate hazards, and to enhance the health and safety of our entire university community.

For employees:
If you are an employee who has suffered a work-related injury or been in an accident on the job, please contact your supervisor immediately to report the situation.  You and your supervisor are expected to complete the Employee Accident Report and forward to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) by the end of the work shift in which the injury or accident occurs.  If the employee is unable to complete the report in that time frame, the supervisor should complete the preliminary report and submit to EHS. 

For visitors and students (other than employees):
Please complete and submit the Student/Visitor Accident Report within 8 hours of the incident.  EHS staff will distribute information appropriately and may contact you to discuss details of the incident.

It is a regulatory requirement that serious accidents to employees (those resulting in which an employee is admitted as an inpatient at the hospital, for example) must be reported to L&I within eight hours. 

Should a serious accident occur during normal working hours, please contact EHS immediately at (509)963-2252.

After hours and weekends, call the 24-hour maintenance/emergency number at (509)963-3000, provide contact information, and request notification of an EHS staff member on the contact list.