Professor of History
Jason Knirck is a modern Irish historian who also teaches British and Western European history. His research concerns the Irish revolution and the foundation of the Irish Free State, focusing particularly on the political rhetoric of the period. His monograph Afterimage of the Revolution: Cumann na nGaedheal and Irish Politics 1922-32, which deals with the relationship between the Free State political party Cumann na nGaedheal and the legacy of the Irish revolution, was released in 2014 by the University of Wisconsin Press. His current work focuses on the Irish Farmers' Party in the 1920s, and the roles played by opposition parties in the Free State parliament. He is also co-editing with Ciara Meehan and Mel Farrell a collection of essays on Ireland in the 1920s that will be released in 2015 by Irish Academic Press. Before arriving at CWU in 2004, he taught for three years as an assistant professor at Humboldt State University.
- BA History/Math, Gonzaga University (1992)
- MA History, Washington State University (1996)
- PhD History, Washington State University (2000)
- Co-Editor, A Formative Decade: Irish Politics and Political Culture in the 1920s. Irish Academic Press (forthcoming summer 2015).
- Afterimage of the Revolution: Cumann na nGaedheal and Irish Politics, 1922-1932. University of Wisconsin Press, 2014.
- “A Cult of No Personality: W.T. Cosgrave and the Election of 1933,” Éire-Ireland, Vol. 47, Nos. 3-4 (Fall/Winter 2012): 64-90.
- "Apostates or Imperialists?: W.T. Cosgrave, Kevin O'Higgins, and Republicanism," New Hibernia Review, Vol. 14, No. 4 (Winter 2010): 51-73.
- "The Dominion of Ireland: The Anglo-Irish Treaty in an Imperial Context," Éire-Ireland Vol. 42 No. 1-2 (Spring/Summer 2007).
- Imagining Ireland's Independence: The Debates Over the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921. Rowman and Littlefield, 2006.
- Women of the Dáil: Gender, Republicanism and the Anglo-Irish Treaty. Irish Academic Press, 2006.
- "Afterimage of the Revolution: Kevin O'Higgins and the Irish Revolution," Éire-Ireland, Vol. 38, No. 3-4 (Fall 2003).
- "Ghosts and Realities: Female TDs and the Treaty Debate," Éire-Ireland, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Winter/Spring 1997-98).
Fields of Study
- Modern Ireland
- Modern Britain/British Empire
- Tudor-Stuart Britain
- Modern France