Advanced Standing is an option for currently certified and practicing paramedics to earn their Bachelor of Science degree in EMS Paramedicine at Central Washington University. This option is made available only for currently certified paramedics who reside in a state that participates in online instruction with Washington State and who received their education from an accredited institution (CoAEMSP). To determine if your state of residence is a participating state, please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/online-learning/
The following information is the procedure for applying for and participating in the Advanced Standing option. For more information, please contact the Program Office at (509)963-1098 or our Program Coordinator via email at email@example.com.
Students seeking Advanced Standing with the EMS Paramedicine Program should complete each of the following steps in their prescribed sequence:
1. The prospective student shall apply for admission to Central Washington University and satisfy all necessary paperwork, transcripts, fees, and requirements for admission
2: The admitted student should complete all orientations, establish all necessary accounts, and satisfy all transfer requirements, if applicable
3. To be eligible for matriculation in the Advanced Standing Program major, the admitted student must complete the General Education requirements prior to enrolling into courses of the major. General Education Requirements may also be satisfied with the appropriate Associates Degree for transfer. For more information on the General Education requirements, please go to: http://www.cwu.edu/academic-advising/general-education-requirements
4. The admitted student shall then apply to the EMS Paramedicine Program for acceptance into the Advanced Standing status and satisfy all requirements, documentation, and fees to the Program. Please note: failure to attain acceptance into the Advanced Standing status of the EMS Paramedicine Program does not preclude the student from seeking an alternative major nor will it result in a refund of any admission fees or incurred costs from the University.
To download the advanced standing application, please click the following links-
5. Upon acceptance into the Advanced Standing status of the EMS Paramedicine Program (and previous admission to the University), the student shall be awarded up to 44 credits in experiential learning in the EMS Paramedicine major. While those credits will contribute to the requirements of the major and to the necessary 180 credits for graduation, they cannot be added to the maximum of 105 credits awarded in a transfer. The explanation of requirements and the equivalency of courses for those 44 credits are listed below under the Breakdown of Credits Awarded Through Experiential Learning in the EMS Paramedicine Major.
6. It is important to note that the 44 credits from experiential learning will NOT be applied to the General Education requirements AND the requirements in the major – it can only be applied to the requirements of the major. ALL General Education requirements must be fulfilled prior to taking any of the courses in the major. These General Education requirements may be satisfied with an Associate’s Degree, particularly if it is a degree-to-transfer.
7. In addition to the 44 experiential credits awarded, additional credits will be earned through online instruction and Cooperative Education Internships as follows:
a. 49 credits in online instruction
b. 12 credits in Cooperative Education Internship
8. To be awarded credits in the EMS Paramedicine major as an Advanced Standing student, the student must be a currently certified paramedic (state or national certification) with evidence of completion of education from a CoAEMSP-accredited institution (certificate or letter of completion).
9. The breakdown of credits awarded and credits earned are illustrated below.
Breakdown of credits awarded through experiential learning in EMS Paramedicine major:
|EMS 335 - Paramedicine - I||4|
|EMS 335LAB - Advanced Clinical Practice - I||2|
|EMS 336 - Paramedicine - II||4|
|EMS 336LAB - Advanced Clinical Practice - II||2|
|EMS 337 - Paramedicine - III||3|
|EMS 337LAB - Advanced Clinical Practice - III||2|
|EMS 350 - Paramedicine Instructional Methodologies||2|
|EMS 441 - General Pharmacology for Paramedics||3|
|EMS 443 - Myocardial Disease and Basic Electrocardiography||4|
|EMS 451 - Advanced Trauma Care||3|
|EMS 459 - Emergencies in Pediatric/Geriatric Care||3|
|EMS 493A - Paramedicine Internship - I||3|
|EMS 493B - Paramedicine Internship - II||4|
|EMS 493C - Paramedicine Internship - III||5|
|Total Credits Awarded:||44|
In addition to the credits (44 credits) awarded through experiential learning, each Advanced Standing student must earn the requisite number of credits in the major through online education and cooperative educational internships. A breakdown of those credits follows:
|Summer||EMS 444 - 12 Lead Electrocardiography||4|
|EMS 490 - Cooperative Education Internship *||12|
|Fall||EMS 430 - Problem-based Learning - I||4|
|EMS 455 - Introduction to Pathophysiology||3|
|EMS 460 - Research in EMS - I||3|
|EMS 480 - Financial Analysis in EMS||3|
|Winter||EMS 431 - Problem-based Learning - II||4|
|EMS 461 - Research in EMS - II||3|
|EMS 470 - Current Topics in Emergency Medicine||3|
|EMS 475 - EMS Response to Terrorism||3|
|EMS 481 - Quality Improvement and Administration in EMS||3|
|Spring||EMS 465 - Educational Methodologies in EMS||3|
|EMS 482 - System Analysis of EMS||4|
|EMS 485 - Strategic Planning for EMS||3|
|EMS 488 - Health Policy in EMS||3|
|EMS 489 - Leadership in EMS||3|
|Total Credits in Major Earned:||61|
|Total Credits in Major Awarded:||44|
|Total Credits in Major:||105|
*Note: EMS 490 – Cooperative Education Internship is intended for Advanced Standing students only. It is a substitution for EXSC 350, EXSC 350LAB, EXSC 351, EXEC 351LAB and EMS 440 (all entry-required courses for the traditional student) and is NOT a required course in the major.