Skip to body

Health Careers

Health Degrees Offered At CWU

Current And Prospective Students

No matter which major you decide to persue at CWU, if you are interested in a health career you should make an academic plan or “Plan of Study” early on in your time here that includes the recommended prerequisite coursework. You should also see the appropriate pre-health advisor as soon as possible.

Additional Information for Transfer Students

Not sure where to even start when it comes to transferring?  The CWU Transfer Center can help you get started with your transition to Central.

Community College Courses Prior to Arriving at Central
Make sure you take the right sequences of math, biology, chemistry and other prerequisite courses early in your program of study. Research your top choices of graduate schools and familiarize yourself with  transfer course equivalencies  so that you complete the correct courses your freshmen and sophomore years. You don’t have to do this alone! Talk to your CWU advisor as soon as possible (even prior to coming to CWU) to create a plan. 

The following courses are generally recommended for completion within the first two years of college:

  • General Chemistry (equivalent to CWU's CHEM 181, 182, 183--please note nursing students should take the equivalent to CHEM 111, 112, 113)
  • General Biology (equivalent to CWU's BIOL 181, 182, 183)
  • General Psychology (equivalent to CWU's PSY 101)

Math (requirements vary by program, but most require a minimum of precalculus)


Plan Of Study

To be eligible for graduate programs in health careers, you will need to choose a major. While CWU offers all of the necessary prerequisite courses for pre-health programs, we do not offer majors or degrees in pre-health. You will need to choose a major to complete an undergraduate degree.

If you already know you want to work in a health career (even if you’re unsure what specific career to aim for just yet) keep in mind that there are sequences of math and science that need to be completed early. Most graduate schools will require a minimum of pre-calculus, for example, and you may need to take prerequisite courses prior to qualifying to take pre-calculus. You should be ready to fulfill your math requirements your freshman year. In addition, most programs will require chemistry and biology coursework. You must be on track to complete these requirements in a timely fashion, or you may not be able to finish in four years. Seek advising very early to make an academic plan.


Frequently Asked Questions

What Should I Major in If I Plan to Attend Health Field Graduate School Program?

You may complete a bachelor's degree in any area; however, most students usually choose a major where some of the prerequisite courses overlap with graduation requirements. There are some majors that more closely align with the prerequisite courses for many health professional graduate programs. For example, students often choose to major in Biology or Chemistry if they are pursuing pre-medicine. Or students planning to pursue pre-physical therapy often choose Clinical Physiology or Biology. However, it is very important for you to remember that graduate schools are looking for well-rounded students. You should pursue a course of study that you enjoy and one that could lead to a career in a field you find fulfilling should you not be immediately successful at earning a spot in a highly competitive health program.

Specifically, you can major in the following health-related degree programs at CWU.  Please consult the following webpages or contact the department office for information on how best to apply. Note that some of these degrees will require post graduate education elsewhere to prepare yourself for a specific career. 


CWU Health-Related Degree Programs

College of Education and Professional Studies

Clinical Physiology (BS)

EMS Paramedicine (BS)

Exercise Science (BS) (MS)

Food Science and Nutrition (BS), Dietetics Specialization or Foods and Nutrition Specialization

Nutrition (MS)

Public Health (BS), Population Health Specialization or Pre-Nursing Specialization

Master of Public Health

Safety and Health Management (BS)

Psychology/Counseling (BA) (MS)

College of the Sciences

Biological Sciences (BA) (BS) (MS)

Chemistry (BA) (BS) (MS)

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.