Applications, scope, and benefits of GIS. Classification and components of GIS. Data acquisition. Data management. Data Errors. Implementation considerations.
Knowledge and Skills Developed:
- Understanding of how spatial and attribute data are collected and stored within a GIS system.
- Appreciation for how a GIS acts upon the data - in short, what is happening to the data during GIS analysis.
- Knowledge of data quality and how it impacts analyses.
- A basic understanding of the breadth of GIS applications.
- Training in the use of GIS software.