Established in 1968, the Central Washington University Foundation (CWU Foundation) is an independent but university affiliated, privately governed nonprofit corporation whose mission is to support CWU. Foundation, development and alumni staff are located on the Ellensburg campus, in historic Barge Hall, near the corner of University Way and D Street.
The CWU Foundation’s fundraising efforts results in efficiencies and benefits for the University by:
(1) Assuring proper stewardship of private gifts,
(2) Providing deft flexibility and responsiveness,
(3) Managing assets strategically,
(4) Engaging volunteers as informed advocates, and
(5) Ensuring confidentiality of donor records.
The State of Washington currently provides about 30 percent of the University’s budget, down from 60 percent in 2009. Private gifts are a significant revenue source that allows the University to attract and retain the best and brightest faculty, provide scholarships, build first-class facilities, and continue the distinctive education and research programs that are the hallmark of CWU.