Skip to body

Financial Aid

Special Situations


Your FAFSA application is a ‘snapshot’ in time. It must be accurate the day you apply. This is significant if you plan to be married. Students may be considered Dependent students unless they wait until after the marriage to apply.


All students accepted into a master’s program are required to be enrolled in at least five credits at the 501 level or above to receive graduate-level loans. You may provide a copy of an approved Graduate Course of Study to the Financial Aid Office listing any undergraduate courses that are required for the completion of your graduate program; prerequisite courses in preparation for your master’s program are not considered required per federal regulations, and therefore do not count toward the required 5 graduate-level credits. In the event the courses in which you are enrolled are not at 501+ level or listed as required on your course of study, your loans will be reduced to the post-baccalaureate level and your annual loan eligibility will be limited to the post-baccalaureate level.


The Graduate PLUS loan is an interest-accruing, unsubsidized loan for graduate students. The Graduate PLUS loan (interest rate 7.9%) can be used to meet the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Graduates may borrow any amount up to the Cost of Attendance, minus other financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to request a Graduate PLUS loan. A credit check, entrance counseling, and a new promissory note are required.


The U.S. Department of Education requires all institutions disbursing federal aid to verify the accuracy of the information submitted by students and families. Each year, approximately one third of the applications are chosen for verification. If chosen, you will be required to submit additional documentation to verify such information as household size, income, assets and number of family members in college. Failure to comply with this request will prohibit our office from awarding or disbursing financial aid. Verification is simplified if you authorize FAFSA to access your IRS account.


Some students receive assistance with college costs from a third party. Some of these sources include DVR, ROTC, AmeriCorps, Army Tuition Assistance, and employer tuition-assistance plans. You are required to notify the Financial Aid Office of any resource or guaranteed source available to you for college costs. Your award will be adjusted to reflect these resources.


If you are a transfer student, you may be awarded financial aid before your transcripts are fully evaluated. In this case, your loan award may be based on a lower than actual class standing. Once your credits are evaluated you may request an adjustment to your loan with a revision request. Please be sure any offer of aid at another institution has been canceled. We cannot disburse funds until this is done.


Please use this Dependent Care Allowance form to document costs and request an adjustment to your cost of attendance.


Changes to your budget and award are permitted under certain circumstances. Requests for a Revision to Parent Contribution will be considered if the request documents an unexpected and substantial decrease in family resources since the time of application.
Changes can be made to your award if your education-related expenses significantly exceed your estimated Cost of Attendance. You must submit a revision request with appropriate documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Students are eligible to request a one-time-only increase to their Cost of Attendance for the purchase of a computer for school-related work. Typically, these requests are limited to $2,000. Please be aware that we cannot exceed your maximum annual eligibility in any loan program.


If you are taking Continuing Education and wish to receive financial aid:
1. You must be a degree-seeking matriculated student.
2. The courses must apply to a degree or certification that has been approved by the U.S. Department of Education (check with the Financial Aid Office).
3. Courses used for continuing certification and educational endorsements numbered 500 are NOT eligible for financial aid.
4. Tuition waivers cannot pay for continuing education courses.


If you withdraw, are expelled, or otherwise fail to complete a credit in any given quarter, institutional aid will be returned and federal and state financial aid money will be prorated and returned to the respective program. Any student who accepts aid but fails to attend class will be required to return all financial aid funds. Please see Policy for Return of Title IV Funds for further information.


Question #23 on the 2010-11 and 2011-12 FAFSA asks the student if they have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study). Students who answer yes will be sent a worksheet from the Department of Education. Students who are unsure how to answer the question can call 1-800-433-3243 for assistance.

Students may also become ineligible through the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 that includes provisions that authorize federal and state judges to deny certain federal benefits, including federal student aid, to persons convicted of drug trafficking or possessions. The Central Processing System (CPS) maintains a hold file of those who have received such a judgment, and it checks applicants against that file to determine if they should be denied aid. This is separate from the check for a drug conviction via question #23; confirmation of a student in the drug abuse hold file will produce a rejected application.