Skip to body

Financial Aid

Conditions of Financial Aid Award

Your Responsibility:

Awards are contingent on your eligibility at the time of disbursement. The State of Washington and Central Washington University are offering you financial assistance to help support your education expenses. Please visit to receive more information about financial aid, scholarships, work study and student loans.

In order to receive any offered financial assistance you will need to comply with the following conditions.  If you have questions or find that you cannot comply with these conditions, please contact the CWU Financial Aid Office.

1. You do not owe a repayment to any federal or state grant or scholarships, nor are you in default on a state or federal student loan.
2. Recipients of Washington State aid programs must meet the requirements for Washington State residency.
3. You must meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the program(s) awarded.
4. The offer of financial assistance is subject to, and conditioned upon, the availability of funds. The Washington Student Achievement Council and the institution through which the grant or scholarship is awarded reserve the right to withdraw, reduce or modify the awards due to funding limitations or due to changes in circumstances that could require repayment and affect your eligibility for the program(s).
5. Federal and State gift aid programs are limited to students pursuing their first bachelor degree.
6. There is a 6 year lifetime limit on Pell Grant. If you exceed the lifetime limit, then the Pell Grant will be canceled prior to the next disbursement.
7. Accept or Decline your aid online or in writing. To accept or decline online go to:
MyCWU > Financial Toolbox > Accept/Decline Awards
8. Cancel aid offers from other schools.
9. Matriculate (be enrolled in a degree program) at Central Washington University.  Even though CWU does not confer associate degrees or bachelor degrees in Theology, state rules require CWU to inform you that state financial aid recipients cannot major in Theology, or in some circumstances, earn a second associate degree with the benefit of state financial assistance within five years of earning an associate degree.
10. Provide proof of high school diploma, GED, or home schooling to the Admissions Office.
11. Loans and institutional aid require a minimum enrollment of 6 credits. Graduates need to be enrolled in at least 5 credits at the 501 level or higher. Tuition Scholarships cannot exceed actual tuition charges. Adjustments will be made as necessary.
12. Inform the Financial Aid Office in writing (preferably via e-mail from your CWU email account) if you have grant aid and enroll in less than 12 credits. Your aid will be adjusted if necessary.
13. Aid will be adjusted according to your enrollment at the end of the Change of Schedule Add/Drop period, known as "Census Date." Aid cannot be re-awarded for late enrollment.
14. Make satisfactory progress toward a degree and maintain enrollment status at the level needed for disbursed aid.
(See CWU Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy at
15. Keep your address, phone number, and e-mail current on MyCWU.
16. Frequently check your CWU Outlook e-mail account, as well as your MyCWU "To Do List," and account balance.
17. Repay all or part of your financial aid should you withdraw, drop, or fail to attend during the quarter in which aid has disbursed. The amount of repayment owed will be calculated in accordance with the CWU Return of Funds Policy.
18. First time loan borrowers must complete online entrance counseling and sign promissory notes.
19. Parents taking out a PLUS loan must complete the online PLUS Request process each time you borrow, and complete a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note at the first time you borrow for each student. The parent completing the online PLUS Request and MPN must sign into the website using the FAFSA PIN issued to them. Either parent can apply for a PLUS loan, it does not have to be the parent whose information appears on the FAFSA.
(A step-parent may apply for a PLUS loan if their information appears on the FAFSA.)


NOTE: February 1 is the priority deadline for FAFSA application and April 1 is the priority deadline for providing all verification and other requested documents. If you are submitting an application or verification documents after the priority deadlines, you should have a contingency plan for paying your charges because aid may not be ready by the due date. It is crucial to respond immediately to any requests for additional information.

You may choose to voluntarily make financial contributions to the Washington Student Achievement Council in recognition of the assistance that you received.  All voluntary contributions will be used to provide assistance to other students.  Please contact for more information.

You must Accept, Reduce, or Decline your aid online at MyCWU > Financial Toolbox > Accept/Decline Awards. If a revision is made to your award, it will be posted on MyCWU > Financial Toolbox > View Financial Aid and a notice sent to your Outlook e-mail. All conditions as stated will apply to revisions and all financial aid offered.

Central Washington University reserves the right, in accordance with applicable state and federal guidelines, to reduce, cancel, or change student awards if funds are insufficient to meet the needs of all students who have been awarded. All awards offered by Central  Washington University, and all funds received from Central Washington University, are subject to the conditions, instructions, and student responsibilities outlined in this notification form and other publications, policies, and procedures produced or distributed by the Financial Aid Office. Tuition Scholarships may be reduced, changed, or eliminated if the student receives other aid that is restricted to paying tuition.

SCHOLARSHIPS / GRANTS / RESOURCES: Federal regulations require that scholarships, grants, and resources be considered a part of the total financial aid award and may reduce other financial aid. You are required to report outside scholarships, grants, and resources  (such as guaranteed sources and DVR) to the Financial Aid Office.

WORK-STUDY:  Eligible students will receive the Work-Study Personnel Action Form in the mail soon after their initial award package if the FAFSA indicated interest in Work Study. If you are interested but did not indicate so on the FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Office. Go to to search the online Job Board. Contact Financial Aid if you have questions.

For Tax related issues please see

WARNING: Any person who knowingly makes a false statement or a misrepresentation on forms used to apply for assistance shall be subject to a fine of not more than $20,000 and sent to prison or both per the U.S. Code, HEA of 1965.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.