3-50-415 Distribution of Paychecks and Pay Advices
Paydays fall on the 10th and 25th of every month (RCW 42.16.010). When an employee works the 1st through the 15th of a month, he or she will be paid for that time on the 25th of that month. When an employee works the 16th through the end of the month, he or she will be paid for that time on the 10th of the following month. Although CWU's payroll is paid on the 10th and 25th of each month, the Payroll Office must complete additional processing to ensure that paychecks and pay advices are distributed on a timely basis.
- The CWU Payroll Office will send the appropriate pay file to the Cashiers´ Office two and one-half days prior to payday (when feasible according to the payroll schedule).
- The Cashiers´ Office will print pay advices and deliver them to the Copy Cat Shop two days prior to payday.
- The Copy Cat Shop will fold and place pay advices into envelopes and deliver the envelopes to Mail Services and/or arrange for their pickup the morning prior to payday.
- Mail Services will sort and deliver the pay advices to departments that same afternoon.
- Departments are responsible for distributing pay advices to employees at the appropriate time on payday.
- The CWU Payroll Office will send the pay file to the Cashiers´ Office two and one-half days prior to payday (when feasible according to the payroll schedule).
- The Cashiers´ Office will print, fold, and place paychecks that are to be mailed into envelopes.
- The Cashiers´ Office will deliver to Mail Services and/or arrange for their pickup on the morning two days prior to payday for those employees engaged in work in remote or varying locations from the geographic location at which payroll is prepared. The remaining paychecks that must be mailed will be delivered to Mail Services one day prior to payday. RCW 42.16.010(1)(c)
- Mail Services will process and mail paychecks the day they are received.
New Employees: New employees have 20 days to make a designation whether they want direct deposit or their check mailed. During this conversion time:
- Checks that are not mailed must be picked up by the employee at the Cashiers´ Office on or after payday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- If checks are not picked up by the following payday, they are mailed to the employee´s home address. For example, if payday is August 25th, checks will be available at the Cashier's Office until September 10th. If they have not been picked up by the 10th, they will be mailed to the employees on September 11th.
NOTE: This procedure assumes a "normal" payroll processing period that does not include holidays or other possible alterations of the regular payroll cycle. In addition, the Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs may make procedural adjustments in emergencies or unusual circumstances.