3-50-420 Missing Payroll Check Procedure for Student/Hourly Employees
These procedures differ from the current process in that supervisors or departments inquire and resolve the problem on behalf of the student/employee rather than sending the student/employee from office to office. Due to internal control issues, the Payroll department will no longer accept retro pay; check request, Personnel Action Form (PAF), Student Personnel Action Form (SPAF), or other forms of paperwork which involve paying employees unless the paperwork has been signed off by Student Employment (SE) or Human Resources (HR) first.
Section I. Procedure when student/employee does not receive a paycheck when expected:
- Student/employee goes to Cashier and is told they have no check.
- Cashier refers student/employee to supervisor, not to the Payroll department. This allows the supervisor to be responsible for their employee. This also eliminates having the student/employee sent all over campus to get his/her check.
- Supervisor investigates to find out if timekeeper entered time:
- If time was not entered because Time Sheet was late or not submitted, then supervisor collects Time Sheet and submits to timekeeper & informs student/employee that hours will be paid on next payday. If dept. wants to request special check, then dept. prepares check request as specified below in Section II.
- If timekeeper could not enter time, supervisor checks records to see if hiring form has been completed. If no hiring form has been completed, supervisor follows procedure specified in Section I.A below.
- f supervisor believes hiring form has been completed and submitted to SE/HR, and/or timekeeper was able to enter time, SUPERVISOR contacts SE/HR and asks why student did not receive a check. Supervisor does NOT send the student/employee to SE/HR or Payroll to inquire.
- SE/HR investigates and determines why check is not available (e.g.: no hiring form received or problem, missing I-9 or W-4, missed deadline for pay period, hours don´t show on system, hours entered but did not pay, etc.)
- SE/HR informs supervisor of problem and advises how to proceed.
Depending on reason, procedure is as follows:
Section I.A No hiring form completed and/or missing I-9 or W-4
- If no SPAF/PAF form has been completed, student/employee & supervisor prepare form and submit form to SE/HR.
- If valid I-9 and W-4 are not on file, student/employee completes these forms at SE/HR.
- Supervisor informs student/employee when to expect first check according to published payroll schedule and assure student/employee that on the next regular payday they will receive the first check with all hours worked.
- If department wants to request special check, then department prepares check request as specified below in Section II.
Section I. B Missed SPAF/PAF Deadline:
- If hiring form deadline was missed, then dept. is responsible for informing the student/employee accurately of first pay date. Supervisor informs student/employee that deadline was missed and assures the student/employee that on the next regular payday they will receive the first check with all hours worked.
- If department wants to request special check, then dept. prepares check request as specified below in Section II.
Section I. C Some other problem:
- SE/HR contacts Payroll and attempts to determine how to resolve problem.
- SE/HR and/or Payroll initiate corrective action and/or contacts supervisor and explains how to resolve.
- If dept. wants to request special check, then dept. prepares check request as specified below in Section II.
Section II. Special pay request routing:
Payroll will be a back up to timekeepers for rapid time entry on payroll. Payroll will also accept retro leave reports. Any and all other departmental requests such as: check requests, retro pay, rate adjustments, extra hours, overtime etc. which are outside of normal reporting must be routed as follows:
- Department prepares special request on old Time Report form according to published Payroll instructions. When completing this form you must write out a reason that states why payroll needs to cut a check.
- Department brings form to Student Employment/Human Resources to check data for accuracy & make sure a valid job assignment exists.
- SE/HR approves by signing & dating form.
- Department brings approved form to Payroll and requests special check.
- Department informs student/employee when check can be expected.