Student teaching is graded on a Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U) basis. To successfully pass Student Teaching, you must:
- Attend and participate in all seminars.
- Meet state requirements.
- Meet program requirements.
- No dispositional concerns.
- Complete all required Student Teaching paperwork.
- Complete certification paperwork.
- Successfully pass the edTPA.
- Additional requirements as necessary.
- Read the Student Teacher Handbook.
- Know your school district policies pertaining to teaching responsibilities.
- Safety procedures,
- First aid procedures,
- Use of school equipment,
- Know your function in relation to the classroom, school building, and school district.
- Attend Student Teaching Orientation and all seminars.
- Complete and turn in ON TIME all of the required documents for Student Teaching.
- Maintain open communication with your Cooperating Teacher, Field Supervisor, and Director of Field Experiences.
- Act in a mature, responsible, and professional manner reflecting high professional standards.
- Provide lesson plans to your Field Supervisor at least 48 hours prior to the lesson being observed.
- Provide lesson plans to your Cooperating Teacher at least 48 hours prior to teaching the lesson(s).
- Demonstrate the dispositions of a professional educator.
- Student Teachers are required to attend all seminars.
- You are required to contact your Field Supervisor if you miss a seminar.
- You are expected to participate in discussions and complete assigned activities.
- Student Teachers are required to have lesson plans for every lesson presented.
- You must provide lesson plans to your Field Supervisor at least 48 hours prior to the lesson being observed.
- You must provide lesson plans to your Cooperating Teacher at least 48 hours prior to teaching the lesson(s).
- In Co-Teaching environments, lesson plans are still required for the Student Teacher. The lesson plans need only consist of the pieces of the lesson that the Student Teacher is responsible for teaching.
You must pass the edTPA in order to receive certification in the State of Washington. Your edTPA must be submitted by the given deadline.
Professional Growth Plan
The Professional Growth Plan (PGP) is a state requirement that is to be completed by the end of the Student Teaching experience. Please refer to the template provided by your Field Supervisor. The Professional Growth Plan (PGP) must be completed, signed and turned in to your Field Supervisor by your Exit Seminar.
Career Placement File
Before successful completion of Student Teaching, it is your responsibility to set up a placement file at CWU. Although this is not a course requirement, it is strongly recommended. Contact Career Services at (509) 963-1921 for information.
You are required to check your CWU Groupwise email every day. Your Field Supervisor and the Office of Field Experiences only uses CWU Groupwise email, as mandated by the university.