Skip to body

Family and Consumer Sciences

Recreation, Tourism & Events

Students majoring in the Recreation, Tourism & Events Program receive a Bachelor of Science in Recreation, Tourism, and Events with either a specialization in Recreation Management, Tourism Management or Event Management.   
Recreation Management majors may focus their studies on community based recreation such as city parks and recreation or not for profit organizations like YMCA's; on outdoor resource recreation, for instance working for the United States Forest Service or other land management agencies; or pursuing entrepreneurial ideas of their own related to recreation. Each of these areas is based on principles of sustainable practices that take into consideration people, economics, communities and the environment.
Tourism Management students may choose a career managing and directing programs, facilities, and people at resorts, convention centers, cruise lines, airlines, travel companies and hotels, among others.  
Event Planning is our newest specialization addressing the growing special event, convention, and festival industry.

2017-2018 RT Schedule of Classes for Planning

Recreation Management Specialization Program of Study

Recreation 4 Year Plan

Tourism Management Specialization Program of Study

Tourism Management 4 year Plan

Event Management Specialization Program of Study 

Event Management 4 Year Plan

Besides majoring in Recreation or Tourism Management, students at CWU may receive a minor in one of the following areas:

The Recreation, Tourism, & Events Program (RTE) at Central Washington University (CWU) began in 1947, and was the first of its kind at a college or university in Washington state. Many of the CWU graduates of the Program occupy positions in leadership and management throughout the Pacific Northwest. They provide a strong network of alumni support for students who will follow them into the workforce.A certificate program and minor in Wine Trade and Tourism focuses on the management, marketing, and distribution of wine and wine tourism.

Transfer programs for high schools and community colleges are available. (see RTE faculty for information)

Facebook Logo
Follow us on Facebook!

Student Resources



For admission to RTE majors there are no prerequisite courses required.  The following lists the process for application.

Meet with a program advisor

  • Complete the FCS Major Application Form (see above)
  • Freshmen are encouraged to apply however all students must hold a 2.3
  • Cumulative GPA upon attaining Sophomore standing (45 credits)

For more information contact one of the Recreation, Tourism, and Events Faculty:

Dr. Barbara Masberg
(509) 963-1969
Michaelsen 226

Dr. Carla Jellum
(509) 963-2568
Michaelsen 231

Dr. Robert Perkins
(509) 963-1292
Michaelsen 134

Dr. David Rolfe
(509) 963-1742
Michaelsen 331








Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.