Skip to body

Family and Consumer Sciences

Recreation and Tourism

Students majoring in the Recreation and Tourism Program receive a Bachelor of Science in Recreation and Tourism with either a specialization in Recreation Management, Tourism Management or Event Planning.   
Recreation Management majors may focus their studies on community based recreation such as city parks and recreation or not for profit organizations like YMCA's; on outdoor resource recreation, for instance working for the United States Forest Service or other land management agencies; or pursuing entrepreneurial ideas of their own related to recreation. Each of these areas is based on principles of sustainable practices that take into consideration people, economics, communities and the environment.
Tourism Management students may choose a career managing and directing programs, facilities, and people at resorts, convention centers, cruise lines, airlines, travel companies and hotels, among others.   Event Planning is our newest specialization addressing the growing special event, convention, and festival industry.

2014-2016 RT Schedule of Classes for Planning

Recreation Management Specialization Program of Study

Recreation 4 Year Plan

Tourism Management Specialization Program of Study

Tourism 4 Year Plan

Event Planning Specialization Program of Study 

Event Planning 4 Year Plan

Besides majoring in Recreation or Tourism Management, students at CWU may receive a minor in one of the following areas:

The Recreation and Tourism Program (RT) at Central Washington University (CWU) began in 1947, and was the first of its kind at a college or university in Washington state. Many of the CWU graduates of the Program occupy positions in leadership and management throughout the Pacific Northwest. They provide a strong network of alumni support for students who will follow them into the workforce.A certificate program and minor in Wine Trade and Tourism focuses on the management, marketing, and distribution of wine and wine tourism.

Transfer programs for high schools and community colleges are available. (see RT faculty for information)

Facebook Logo
Follow us on Facebook!

Student Resources



For admission to RT majors there are no prerequisite courses required.  The following lists the process for application.

Meet with a program advisor

  • Complete the FCS Major Application Form (see above)
  • Freshmen are encouraged to apply however all students must hold a 2.3
  • cumulative GPA upon attaining Sophomore standing (45 credits)

For more information contact one of the Recreation and Tourism Faculty:

Dr. Barbara Masberg
(509) 963-1969
Michaelsen 226