Skip to body

Exploratory Advising

Transferable AA Degrees & Courses




Central Washington University accepts a maximum of 135 total transfer credits from regionally accredited four-year schools, including a maximum of 105 total credits from regionally accredited community colleges. Credits are evaluated by Registrar Services based on official transcripts. Credits earned in courses numbered 100 and above are generally accepted toward total transfer credits provided the courses require university-level study.

Transfer courses equivalent to CWU courses will apply toward the baccalaureate degree exactly as do the CWU courses for which they are being substituted. Equivalency is established by a course review from the appropriate academic department. Other transfer courses that have not been established as exact equivalents may transfer as general electives and may also be allowed in the degree program with approval from the appropriate academic department chair and, as appropriate, college dean.

Credits earned at institutions which are not fully accredited by a regional accrediting association are not accepted. Consideration for exception to this policy may be made by written petition to the dean of the appropriate college after earning a minimum of 45 credits at Central with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

The university recognizes college credit from a number of sources, including Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and military educational experience or correspondence credit. Up to 45 quarter credits from these programs may be counted toward graduation.

The university endorses the Policy on Inter-College Transfer and Articulation among Washington public colleges and universities published by the Higher Education Coordinating Board. The policy deals with the rights and responsibilities of transfer students, and the review and appeal process in transfer credit disputes. Contact Registrar Services for more detailed information.

Academic associate degrees which are part of the Direct Transfer Agreements (DTA) between the university and Washington community colleges will meet the general education requirement of a bachelor’s degree. Community colleges offer several kinds of associate degrees, therefore, students who plan to transfer to the university should check with their counselors to make sure they are enrolled in the appropriate direct transfer degree program. Students who earned the AA degree prior to the date of the DTA between the university and individual community colleges may petition the provost or his designee for acceptance of their degree to meet general education requirements.

Associate of science degrees with transfer agreements between the university and Washington community colleges will meet the general education requirements of a

bachelor’s degree when students complete additional courses at CWU. Transfer students without a transferable associate degree from a Washington State community college wishing to complete such a degree must complete it by the time they have completed 45 credits or within one calendar year, whichever comes later, after initial enrollment at Central in order for the AA degree to satisfy the general education requirements at Central. A student cannot earn an associate degree and bachelor’s degree in the same quarter.

Academic associate of art degrees from a public community college outside of Washington State, accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), will meet the general education requirements of a bachelor's degree.

Students transferring to CWU from another Washington State public baccalaureate institution, whose General University Requirements or General Education Requirements were complete at the sending institution, will also satisfy all of the CWU General Education Requirements, provided official documentation is received from the sending institute and certified by CWU.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.