Everyone experiences power interruptions from time to time. Many of these outages come at times of weather extremes or accompany various disasters. When the power is out, safety becomes a major concern.
Under no circumstances are you supposed to turn utilities back on once they have been turned off (even if you are the one who turned it off). Leave that for the utility workers.
The following information is meant to help you when the lights go out:
- Report the outage to CWU Facilities Maintenance and Operations at 509-963-3000. If it is after the hours of 8 am to 5 pm, report the outage to Kittcom at 509-925-8534.
- Stay where you are. Usually the lights will come back on quickly.
- Do not attempt to evacuate the building without adequate lighting.
- Turn off electrical equipment.
- Do not use candles or gas lanterns inside buildings.
- Unplug computers and other voltage-sensitive equipment to protect possible surges when power is restored.
- Conserve water use.
- Keep refrigerators and freezer doors closed.
- If you smell gas or see a gas leak, leave the area and warn others as you leave.
- Call 911 from a safe location. Tell the dispatcher where you are and about the emergency.
- Do NOT attempt to correct the leak or problem unless you are qualified to do so.
- Provide assistance to others in your immediate area who may be unfamiliar with the area or evacuation routes.
- Remain outside until emergency personnel tell you it is safe to enter the building.
- Report the outage to CWU Facilities Maintenance and Operations at 509-963-3000.If it is after the hours of 8 am to 5 pm, report the outage to Kittcom at 509-925-8534.
- Shut down and protect critical equipment, if safe to do so.
- If you are in a dark area, proceed cautiously to an area that has emergency lights.
- Call 911 to report the location of downed wires.
- Treat any downed wire as if it is energized.
- Telephone or cable television wires that are touching a power line could become energized and should also be avoided.
- Stay clear of areas where there is a lot of debris or downed trees, as they may conceal energized lines.