If an armed intruder comes to CWU it is critical that faculty, staff, and students report it immediately and take the correct protective actions.
COURSES OF ACTION:
1. FIQURE OUT:
- How are you going to survive?
- Will you get out?
- Is there a path to escape?
- Will you hide out?
- Is there a chance to get to where the shooter may not find you?
- Is your only option to take out the shooter?
2. GET OUT:
- Move quickly. Do not wait for others to validate your decision.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Survival chances increase if you are not where the shooter is or if you are out of sight of the shooter.
THEN CALL OUT
- Inform the authorities of the situation.
- Call 911 and tell them the name of the shooter (if known), number of shooters, shooter description(s), location, type of weapons, and any injuries.
3. HIDE OUT:
- You may not be able to get out:
- The shooter is located between you and the exit.
- You would have to enter the area where the shooter is positioned.
- Find a hiding place.
- Look for one that is well hidden and protected.
- Avoid places that might trap or restrict your movement.
4. KEEP OUT:
- Find a room that can be locked and has objects to hide behind.
- Blockade the door with heavy furniture.
- Turn out the lights; become totally silent.
- Turn off noise-producing devices.
- Call 911 if you can do so without alerting the shooter.
5. SPREAD OUT:
- If two or more of you, DO NOT huddle together.
- This gives you more options and makes it harder for the shooter
- Quietly develop a plan of action in the event the shooter enters.
- Remain calm.
- Can have a contagious effect on others.
- Keeps others focused on survival.
6. TAKE OUT:
- Assume shooters intentions are lethal.
- Shooter will succeed in killing all those with whom he comes in contact, UNLESS you stop him.
- Develop a survival mind set that you have what it takes to survive when your life is on the line.
- You must be prepared to do whatever it takes to neutralize the threat.
- Throw things, yell, use improvise weapons.
- If two or more of you, make a plan to overcome the shooter.
- Do the best that you can. Choose to survive!