Frequently Asked Questions
- What is CWU Alert! campus-wide notification system?
- How do I enroll in the CWU Alert! notification system?
- How do I change my contact information in the campus-wide emergency notification system?
- Who will get notified with the CWU Alert! notification system?
- Another member of my household is also a member of the CWU community, but we only received one phone call to our home. Why?
- The phone directory lists a common phone number for multiple people in our office. Will we receive multiple phone calls at that number?
- I did not receive a phone call, email or text message, even though others did, and I submitted my information. What should I do?
- What happens after I sign up (opt-in) for text messaging via the web portal?
- How do I prevent CWU Alert! from sending me text messages?
- Who is authorized to send messages out using the campus-wide emergency notification system?
- Should I submit my contact information even if I am located at an off-campus location?
- If I change my mind and don't want to receive CWU Alerts!, can I cancel?
- How often will I receive alerts?
- Will I receive information other than emergency alerts from the campus-wide emergency notification system?
- What steps are taken to ensure the information I submit is secure?
- Will my contact information be sold to telemarketers?
- What number will be reflected on my caller ID when an alert is issued?
- What e-mail address will be reflected when an alert is issued?
- Should I do anything to ensure that emergency emails are not filtered?
- What should I do if I receive an emergency call or e-mail from the campus-wide emergency notification system?
- What other emergency notification systems are used at CWU?
- What else should I know about emergency preparedness?
- Why did it take so long for me to receive the Alert message on my office phone?
The University has contracted with Blackboard Connect to use their Connect-ED emergency mass notification system. The Connect-ED product improves the University's ability to effectively communicate with the campus using land-line phones, cellular phones, voicemail, e-mail, and text messaging. The Connect-ED system can push out thousands of messages within minutes to help ensure the safety of everyone at CWU during an emergency.
The University has elected to opt-in all students, faculty and staff using the contact information found in MyCWU. It is extremely important that you keep your contact information updated to assure that you receive alerts.
Students, Faculty and Staff will receive alerts provided their contact information is kept updated and current.
The system recognizes repeated phone numbers and ensures that it calls each unique phone number only once.
No. The system recognizes repeated phone numbers and ensures that it calls each unique phone number only once.
Please verify that your information in MyCWU is updated and accurate.
Log into MyCWU where you can update all your personal information. Detailed instructions for updating your day/evening phone numbers, e-mail (you can add personal e-mail accounts), texting and TTY numbers.
If you do not want to receive text messages during an emergency, do not update a texting (SMS) number to your personal contact information in MyCWU.
Messages will be distributed by trained representatives from the Department of Public Safety and Police Services.
Yes. The CWU Alert! notification system will be utilized when emergencies may impact the entire Ellensburg CWU community whether you live on- or off-campus.
Currently, the University plans to conduct tests of all the emergency communications systems two times per year. However, the University reserves the right to conduct additional testing based on significant changes to either the enrollment population or upgrades to the systems.
No. Currently, CWU only intends to use the notification system for situations that pose a threat to the safety of the CWU community.
Confidential personal information is stored in Safari. You are the only person with access to your personal data. Blackboard Connect provides a system that enables ITS to schedule secured automatic updates, which will be run frequently to keep in order to keep the data current.
If you receive a message via the notification system, do the following:
- Listen to or read the ENTIRE message.
- Take the message seriously.
- Follow any instructions given in the message.
- The CWU Home Page will be updated as more information becomes available about the incident.
Currently, CWU makes use of any or all of the following systems depending on the specific emergency:
- Phone calls & voicemail, Campus Closure Voice Mail (866) 419-8512
- E-mail Alerts - a secondary response system which you can subscribe to.
- Fire alarm systems
- Public Address systems
- Computer Desktop Notices - a secondary response system to an emergency incident on campus.
- Steam Whistle (in planning stage)
- CWU Webpage and Emergency Management Division
As always, we strive to keep CWU a safe place, however emergencies and disasters can always occur. Every individual should be prepared both at CWU and at home. Visit the CWU Department of Public Safety website or www.ready.gov for information on individual emergency preparedness.
Alert calls originate from off-campus. Since there are only a limited number of phone lines coming onto campus, only about 75 calls can be in progress at any point in time. Depending on the length of the message being delivered, that means the time required to deliver all of the necessary calls can be quite lengthy. For speedier notice, we recommend that you register your cell phone number in Safari as those calls are generally delivered much faster.