Skip to body

Environmental Health and Safety

Chemical Inventory

[ EH & S Home ]

Chemical Inventory Management System (CHIMS)

Maintaining an accurate chemical inventory is a regulatory requirement for using, handling, and storage of hazardous materials.  The Central Washington University requires Principal Investigators and/or Departments to disclose hazardous material inventory records to EH&S if a hazardous chemical is used, handled, or stored in University facilities.  Collaboration between hazardous materials users and EH&S is essential for maintaining required chemical inventory records.

Central Washington University has developed a Chemical Inventory Management System using FileMaker that facilitates the collection and storage of information related to chemical types and amounts within campus laboratories and facilities.  CHIMS helps CWU meet reporting and compliance requirements.

Getting Started

What do Chemical Owners across CWU’s campus need to inventory?

What to include in your inventoryWHAT NOT TO INCLUDE
  • All chemicals and chemical products (except those listed to the right)
  • All compressed and liquefied gases
  • Lubricants, fuels, and oils (motor oil, gasoline, diesel, vacuum pump oil)
  • Aerosol cans spray lubricants
  • Paints including spray paints
  • Pesticides and Biocides
  • Retail products used for routine household-like activities (cleansers, dish soap)
  • Materials to be expended with 1-2 days (working solutions)
  • Enzyme Preparations
  • Radioactive materials
  • Biological materials
  • Microorganisms
  • Non-hazardous buffers
  • Growth media


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.