Kent Commencement - Sunday, June 4, 2023
Pierce County, Des Moines, and Lynnwood Campuses
625 West James St. Kent, WA 98032
Kent Commencement Schedule
|12:15 PM||Graduates arrive in cap and gown, entering through the receiving area (fenced area to the North) no later than 12:15 PM.|
|12:50 PM||Processional Begins|
|1:00 PM||Commencement Ceremony begins|
|2:30 PM (approximately)||Recessional of faculty and graduates exit arena|
- Name Cards
Name cards will be picked up at check-in on Commencement day. You must bring your name card with you to the staging location and carry it into the ceremony. Name cards are only created for graduates who have registered to participate in commencement, so make sure that you have done so prior to May 10th.
Graduates should arrive in cap and gown at the ShoWare Center no later than 12:15 p.m. Students should enter through the fenced north receiving area from the outside of the facility.
- Line Up/Staging
Staging occurs once you enter the receiving area hallway. When you arrive, you will be arranged in rows for the processional into the arena. CWU staff will be at the staging location to help assemble the rows. Remember to bring your cap, gown, and tassel.
- Commencement Etiquette
Commencement is a time for your family and friends to recognize your hard work and accomplishments. We ask that students behave accordingly and provide a good example of what it means to be a CWU Wildcat.
In years past, CWU staff have had to confiscate a few “foreign beverages,” balloons, and other paraphernalia. This can interrupt the ceremony and take away from the celebration, so please save your personal celebration until after commencement. Enjoy the moment and the experience! This is your day. Be Proud!
- Students with Children
We enjoy having family and friends at the Commencement ceremonies, but children are not allowed to process or sit with the graduates during the ceremony.
All undergraduates must wear official CWU regalia (cap and gown) in order to be eligible to walk. Graduates without proper attire will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony. We recommend that you dress comfortably and wear flat shoes. Staff members will be available if you need assistance, however, there are no dressing facilities available.
The tassel is worn on the right-hand side throughout the ceremony. Tassels will be moved from right to left when the ASCWU President indicates confirmation of degrees. You will receive your tassel with your cap and gown.
Honors Tassels are given to students who qualify for honors based on the GPA of all credits earned at CWU, as well as all transfer credits accepted by CWU. This calculation is based on Winter 2023 grades. Master’s and post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for honors. Summer 2022, Fall 2022, Winter 2023, and Spring 2023 undergraduate candidates who are graduating with academic honors may pick up an honors tassel from Registrar Services (or a university center office) with photo ID after May 2nd. Honors tassels will not be available at Commencement.
Ten minutes prior to the start of the ceremony, the processional lines will begin moving toward the arena. The order of the processional will be:
- Faculty in two lines
- Masters candidates in two lines
- Undergraduates in two lines
- Faculty Marshal (with the University Mace)
- The Presidential Platform Party
During the processional, please remember:
- It is important that you stay in your line.
- The Student Marshals may pause and hold your line at different locations for spacing and timing with other lines.
- Do not move into the seats until you are directed to by the Student Marshals.
- Chair rows will be filled from front to back. Continue to the furthest open chair without leaving any empty.
- A bottle of water will be provided beneath your chair.
Commencement programs will be available during line-up in the ShoWare Recieving Area, should you wish to carry a copy with you into the arena. The complete commencement program will also be available electronically prior to the ceremony.
Remain seated until directed to rise by the Student Marshal. All groups will exit down the center aisle.
The order of the recessional is:
- The Faculty Marshal (with the University Mace)
- The Presidential Platform Party
- The Faculty (faculty will form a congratulatory line for all graduates to walk through as they exit)
- Masters Candidates -The Student Marshal will signal the first row of Master’s, followed by the second row. All graduates will exit down the center aisle.
- Undergraduates - The Student Marshal will direct the undergraduates to rise and exit down the center aisle. They will start from the last row. The undergraduates will leave in pairs, one from the right and one from the left.
You will follow the Student Marshal out of the arena, through the main entrance of ShoWare. Please keep your lines moving until the recessional ends and all students are out of the arena. Please direct your family to meet you in any of the three halls in the concession area or outside of ShoWare Center.