Skip to body

CWU Commencement

Apply to Graduate/FAQs

Apply to Graduate/FAQs

To apply for your degree and complete the degree checkout process, go to your Safari Student Center: 

From click on wildcat connection and log in using your username and password.

Once in the portal click Safari in the left hand menu, scroll down and click "I agree to the terms of service".

Once in Safari, go to Self Service>>Degree Progress/Graduation. The Apply for Graduation link is located on the far right hand side of the page.

Q: When will I receive my diploma?
A: Usually between 8 and 10 weeks, depending on the quarter.  If you’re graduating Spring or Summer 2013, your actual diploma will be mailed to your degree mailing address approximately 10 weeks after the end of the quarter of graduation.
Q: How soon can I order an official transcript with the degree posted? 
A: Usually degrees are posted 2-3 weeks after the end of a term. You can request a transcript prior to leaving CWU, and state that you want it to be held until the degree has been posted before it is sent. There is a $7 fee for each official transcript request.
Q: How long will it take for Degree Checkout to process my application?
A: Applications are processed in the order they’re received. Winter and spring quarters are the busiest terms so it may take up to four weeks before your application is processed.
Q: How will I know when my application has been processed?
A: All correspondence from Degree Checkout will be sent to your CWU e-mail account and will be posted to your TO DO list on SAFARI.
Q: Where do I find my “TO DO LIST” on SAFARI?
A: Navigate to your Safari Student Center: Self Service>>Self Service on SAFARI. Your TO DO LIST is located on the far right hand side of the page.
Q: My TO DO list says "Pending" - what does that mean?
A: Degree completion items stay at "Pending" status until they are entirely complete. Your TO DO list will say "Pending" until every grade has been posted and every requirement for your major, minor, specialization, and CWU degree requirements have been met and posted to your transcript and Central’s Academic Progress System (CAPS) report.
Q: What problems are most likely to prevent students from graduating?
A: Students are denied most often for the following reasons:
  • Not completing general education requirements or a transferrable AA-DTA degree
  • Not having completed pre-requisites for major or minor classes if required
  • Not meeting the 180 credit university degree requirement (no exceptions)
  • Not meeting the 45-credit residency university degree requirement (no exceptions)
  • Not meeting the 60 credit upper division university degree requirement (no exceptions)
  • Not meeting the upper division GPA requirement, if required in your major
  • Not meeting the 2.00 CWU cumulative GPA requirement
  • Not meeting the minimum GPA requirements for majors and minors
  • Not clearing all financial accounts with CWU
Q: I transferred from a semester school and some of my classes were only 4 or 4.5 credits. Who can fix the credit deficiencies on my CAPS report?
A: When transfer credits don’t meet the credit requirement in your major or minor, in some cases the missing credits can be fulfilled with other transfer or CWU credits not being used elsewhere in the major or minor. In other cases you may need to enroll for additional CWU credits to make up the deficit. Either way, the determination of what courses can be used to fulfill the missing credits is determined by the department with a department signed Permit to Substitute Form sent to Degree Checkout for processing. Every CWU graduate must earn the number of credits listed in the catalog for all major, minor, specialization, and degree requirements.
Q: Whom can I talk to in person if I have other problems or questions?
A: There are several units that are here to assist you: they are listed below:
  • For General Education problems, call Academic Advising 963-3523. General Education Petition forms may be picked up on the first floor of Mitchell Hall, and should be submitted to Registrar Services prior to applying for your degree.
  • For questions pertaining to your major or minor, contact your department.
  • For course substitution problems, see your major or minor advisor within your academic department
  • For CAPS problems, call Degree Checkout at 963-3524
  • For past due financial problems, call Student Financial Services 963-3546
Q: How do I get a CAPS report, unofficial transcript or transfer credit summary report (if applicable)?
A: Navigate to your Safari Student Center: Self Service>> Student Center on SAFARI. Your CAPS Report is listed in the Student Center Tab under Academic Section.
Q: What if I find out that I will not be finished in the quarter for which I have applied?
A: Fill out a Graduation Application Withdraw Form (available on-line, at the Centers, and in Degree Checkout) and a new Application for Degree Form for the correct quarter. There is a $20 reapplication fee.

Take the Next Step...