Assistant Professor, Organic Chemistry
Phone: (509) 963-1126
Fax: (509) 963-1050
- 2005 - Ph.D. Chemistry, University of California, Irvine; Advisor: Professor Keith A. Woerpel
- 1999 - B.S. Biochemistry, Boston College
- March 2008 - Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Central Washington University
- Sept. 2005 - Feb. 2008, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, Colorado State University; Advisor: Professor Robert M. Williams
My research interests begin with pioneering new chemical methods and improving extant synthetic methods to make them useful. The application of many reported synthetic methods is hampered by a lack of substrate generality, poor yield in all but a few select examples, and metal-mediated reactions that are catalytic and asymmetric with respect to the metal/ligand complex, but are wasteful in other aspects. Along with the development of new and improved methods, I will undertake the total synthesis of structurally intreguing and biologically active natural products. I am also driven to broaden the use of computational chemistry in the synthetic arena by using it as a predictive tool used to plan natural product syntheses and also to rationalize the sometimes surprising stereochemical and regiochemical outcomes that befall synthetic chemists, often necessitating a change in strategy. Projects in my group will initially involve the design of new, better, and more environmentally friendly catalytic, asymmetric reactions to form nitrogen-containing three-membered rings, as well as pioneering new chemistry involving HOMO(Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital)-raising chiral auxiliaries in reactions such as the Diels-Alder [4 + 2] cycloaddition.
- Chamberland, S.; Sherman, D. H.; Williams, R. M. "Synthesis of Potential Early-Stage Intermediates in the Biosynthesis of FR900482 and Mitomycin C." Submitted for publication.
- Namiki, H. N.; Chamberland, S.; Gubler, D. A.; Williams, R. M. "Synthetic and Biosynthetic Studies of FR900482 and Mitomycin C: An Efficient and Stereoselective Hydroxymethylation of an Advanced Benzazocane Intermediate." Org. Lett. 2007, 9, 5341-5344.
- Chamberland, S.; Ziller, J. W.; Woerpel, K. A. "Structural Evidence that Alkoxy Substituents Adopt Electronically Preferred Pseudoaxial Orientations in Six-Membered Ring Dioxocarbenium Ions." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005, 127, 5322-5323.
- Chamberland, S.; Woerpel, K. A. "Using Nucleophilic Substitution Reactions to Understand How a Remote Alkyl or Alkoxy Substituent Influences the Conformation of Eight-Membered Ring Oxocarbenium Ions." Org. Lett. 2004, 6, 4739-4741.
- Kelly, T. R.; Chamberland, S.; Silva, R. A. "The Total Synthesis of Luotonin A." Tetrahedron Lett. 1999, 40, 2723-2724.