The CWU Robert Noyce SMART Program is a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded program (DUE-1035514) to encourage talented science and mathematics students and professionals to pursue teaching careers. Through the scholarship and internship programs the NSF hopes to increase the number of K-12 teachers with strong science and mathematics content knowledge who teach in high needs schools, provide professional support and mentorship to improve the quality of teaching in high-needs schools, and to provide financial support aimed at developing teaching content knowledge and skills. Click here for more general information about the NSF Robert Noyce Scholarship Program.
The CWU Robert Noyce SMART (Science and Mathematics Alliance for the Retention of Teachers) Program consists of two parts: the Noyce SMART Scholar Program and the Noyce SMART Affiliate Program. The Noyce SMART Scholar Program provides nearly full ride junior and/or senior year scholarships for students in science or mathematics teaching programs. Students can receive up to $16,000 for one year and $35,000 for two years. SMART Scholars must commit to working in a high need school for two years for every year of funding received. The Noyce SMART Affiliate Program provides paid teaching and/or research internships for first and second year college students.
Applications for winter and spring quarter opportunities in the Affiliate Program are due February 20, 2015. Apply now!!
Applications for summer research and teaching opportunities in the Affiliate Program are due February 20, 2015. Apply now!!
Applications for the 2015-2016 Scholar Program is February 20, 2015 (Must plan to student teach in Spring of 2016). Apply now!!
Why Choose to Teach Science or Mathematics?
- Make a difference! Few careers offer the chance to touch and shape lives like teaching does
- Share your passion! Inspire underserved and underprivileged students to achieve their potential
- Shape the future! Serve as a role model for the next generation of scientists and mathematicians
- Challenge yourself! Discover and develop strengths and skills that will make you a leader
- Get a job! There is a shortage of qualified science and mathematics teachers in the U.S
Why Choose CWU?
- 9th largest teacher preparation program in the Nation
- • Learn cutting edge, research-based methods of science and mathematics teaching and learning that motivate students and enhance achievement
- Work one-on-one with award winning faculty