Professional Clothing Closet
It's important to dress appropriately for professional opportunities, to make the right impression; unfortunately, that's not always affordable, particularly for students. The Professional Clothing Closet was created to supplement student resources by providing free interview-ready items of clothing. Please read below to find out more and email Career Services if you have any questions.
Please note that the Professional Clothing Closet is primarily located in the library on the Ellensburg campus, but we are happy to assist students at our other campuses, with appropriate notice.
- Get Clothes from the Clothing Closet
The Professional Clothing Closet is open to all CWU students and alumni who need clothing for interviews, job fairs, industry conferences, or other professional opportunities. Items you may find in the closet include suits, skirts, pants, suit jackets, ties, belts, dresses, and shoes. Please note that the clothing closet is made almost entirely of donations; this means that there will not always be items of the right size or color for your needs.
Guidelines for Participation:
The Professional Clothing Closet is now located in Library 101C, as part of the CWU PUSH Pantry, and is open by appointment only. Please use the Clothing Closet bookings page to make your appointment or call our office at (509) 963-1921 for assistance.
After you've utilized the closet, we strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment for a mock interview with one of career counselors to practice your interviewing skills.
Pay It Forward:
- Tell a friend about your experience at Career Services and encourage their participation.
- Donate to the closet in the future once you've landed that job or internship!
- Spread the word to other CWU Alum and your co-workers to donate! Our existence depends on continued donations.
- Donate to the Clothing Closet
Cleaning out your closet? Do you have new or gently used interview-appropriate clothes taking up space? If so, please consider donating them to the CWU Professional Clothing Closet.
The closet is designed to provide professional attire or items to students and alumni who do not have, or are unable to purchase, appropriate clothes for career related events, such as interviews, presentations, and career fairs.
Ideal donations include timeless pieces of all sizes, preferably purchased within the last five years, including suits, jackets, pants, skirts, shirts, ties, belts and shoes. Due to limited resources, we will only accept items that are scent-free or freshly laundered. We appreciate your understanding.
All donations are tax-deductible.
Please drop off items at Career Services located in Bouillon 206 at 400 East University Way in Ellensburg, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. You can also call (509) 963-1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange drop-off or pick-up of your items. Thank you for supporting our Wildcats!
- Professional Dress Suggestions
In an interview, the way you dress influences the interviewer’s first impression of you. Dressing professionally demonstrates respect, and also shows the employer that you take the interview seriously. It can also boost your own self-confidence during the interview. The following suggestions are meant to help guide you in your interview wear preparation.
- Suit: Solid, dark color (gray, black, brown or navy), conservative
- Shirt: Collared and long sleeve, conservative color; Coordinated blouse, long sleeved, conservative neckline
- Tie: Solid, thin striped or small geometric print; bottom of the tie should meet belt line
- Socks/Hosiery: Long, dark socks to match pants; Nylons should be neutral or a solid dark color, no prints
- Shoes: Well polished, dark dress shoes to match belt, polished, Closed toe, low heel
- Hair: Neat, professional
- Nails: Manicured, neutral nail polish
- No jewelry except wedding band or watch
- Easy on the after shave or cologne; limited makeup and perfume
- Portfolio or briefcase