To help you in the process of selecting a major, it is advantageous to collect information from the department chair or professor of that particular field of study. Call the department and set up an appointment, and come to the meeting with questions already prepared.
You may want to consider using the following questions as an informational interview format:
- What are the primary academic requirements for this major?
- How long does it typically take to complete the program?
- What types of students do well in the program?
- What minors go well with this major?
- What skills and knowledge might I gain as a result of majoring in this area?
- If I graduate with a major in this field, what am I qualified to do?
- What are the future career or job prospects for students graduating with this major? Please explain the salary range.
- Is graduate school required for this career?
- What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of working in this field?
- What is the percentage of graduates from this department that got jobs last year?
- Describe your career path.
- Any additional information that could be helpful in my decision?