IMPORTANT: Placement File Information for Education Majors
As of August 2, 2016, our long-standing placement files system was retired. Currently active placement files will remain maintained and active for those students that have them and graduated as of June 2016. New placement files will not be opened after August 2, 2016.
There are two reasons. First, the majority of districts have online application systems, complete with a letter request system if they require confidential letters of recommendation. Otherwise, those systems expect the applicant to upload all information themselves. Second, very few students use placement files, and fewer still update their files with current information. Therefore, we are following suit with other Washington universities and colleges and moving to self-managed credentials.
What do I do now?
If you have a signed Options form on file with us, you can still submit your letters of reference for your file. You must have graduated as of June 2016 at the latest. We will continue to send placement files to school districts upon request.
If you graduated after June 2016 and should a district require confidential letters of recommendation and not have a letter request system in place, you might consider opening a new account with an independent credential service provider such as ChronicleVitae. That account and its maintenance will be under your sole control and responsibility.
What does this mean for cooperating teachers, student teaching supervisors, and faculty members?
If you do not have an Options form on file with us as of June 2016, all letters of recommendation requested by you from cooperating teachers, student teaching supervisors, and faculty members should be sent directly to you rather than to Career Services.
Can students still get help and advice on creating and maintaining their placement file?
ABSOLUTELY. We strongly encourage undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni to ask any questions about self-managed credential files to call our office at 509.963.1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Placement File Forms
Teacher and Education Administrator graduates are urged to establish a Placement File. A placement file contains references to support your application for a position, they DO NOT contain your Transcripts. Your placement file is housed permanently in the Career Services office. Prospective employers in education use the placement file as part of the K-12 application process.
- Complete and submit the Options Form
- Request references pertinent to your employment:
- Professional Teacher Reference Form - to be used for references from student teaching and beyond
- Faculty/General Reference Form - to be used for references from faculty and/or current or previous supervisors outside of education
- Administrative Reference Form - to be used for those applying for an administrative position
- Set up an account with the Wildcat Career Network. You may already have an account in the Wildcat Career Network - please contact Career Services if you are not sure.
- Certification: Application for Certification/Graduation is through the Certification Office (509.963.2661) in Black Hall. A temporary teaching permit will be mailed to you following graduation or completion of your program. If you plan on teaching in another state, contact the appropriate state certification office for their application procedures.
- Transcripts: Transcripts are requested through the Office of the Registrar (509.963.3030) in Mitchell Hall. Transcripts are sent directly to you or the prospective employer. Transcripts are not included in your CWU Educator Placement File.
- Alternative Routes to Certification
- State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction / OSPI