Thefts are common during the graduation season as the volume of guests on and around campus increases dramatically. Remember never prop open doors on campus. Most thefts can be prevented by simply keeping your residence door, or office door, secured at all times.
Avoid the smash and grab. Encourage family and friends to keep valuables out of plain view when parking their vehicles. GPS systems, iPods, and other electronics left out in plain sight put you at greater risk for a theft from your vehicle. Avoid the headache and eliminate the opportunity for theft.
Do not leave valuables unattended anywhere. Purses, cameras, and other valuables should not be left underneath chairs, tables or on the bleacher seats during graduation activities, or during Commencement. Leave valuable items home or keep them with you at all times.
PARKING FOR GRADUATION:
Public Safety and Police Services will have directional signage in place and officers directing traffic for both sessions of graduation.
Please review the following if you and/or your guests will be attending the graduation ceremonies.
• X-12 & W-12: reserved areas for persons with disabilities. Police Officers will determine whether the cars can park in these lots or need drop the person off and park elsewhere.
• Q14: West end of lot reserved for dignitaries. For all other attendees the east end will be open, but it will fill up very fast!
• V-7 and the Wahle Complex: If guests are just here for the day of graduation, they may park on the north side of the lot of V-7 or the at the Wahle Complex.
• Attendees are allowed to park in any of the other lots on campus without a permit. We recommend parking lots S-10, P-8, as well as O-5 as is it usually fairly empty on weekends.
• Motor homes are not allowed to park overnight in any of the lots as per WAC106-116-213. For oversized motor homes, parking on 18th Ave. is going to be easier.
• Parking is also available on surrounding city streets, please be aware that some city streets are Residential Parking Zones (RPZ) and require special permits.