The Washington State Whistleblower Act (RCW 42.40) encourages employees of the State of Washington to disclose improper governmental actions.
Improper governmental action, RCW 42.40.020(6)(a), is defined as any action by an employee undertaken in the performance of the employee’s official duties which:
• Is a gross waste of public funds or resources,
• Is in violation of federal or state law or rule, if the violation is not merely technical or of a minimum nature,
• Is of substantial and specific danger to the public health or safety,
• Is gross mismanagement, or
• Prevent dissemination of scientific opinion or alters technical findings.
State law preserves the confidentiality of people who file whistleblower assertions and of people who provide information for whistleblower investigations. It also prohibits retaliation against people who file whistleblower assertions. The Human Rights Commission investigates retaliation cases.
Reports of improper governmental action may be made to:
Washington State Auditor’s Office
P.O. Box 40021
Olympia, Washington 98504-0021