1) Consider hiring a house or pet sitter
2) Hold your mail delivery. Simply go to usps.com. And hold your paper service until you return.
3) Have someone check in periodically on your house.
4) Make your home look lived in. Use timers on your lights and turn the front porch light on.
5) If it is summer, have someone mow your lawn. If it is winter have someone shovel the sidewalks. Nothing makes property looked more abandoned than the lawn a foot tall or snow piling up in front of the door.
6) Lock up! Windows and doors. The garage door you never lock? Now is the time.
7) Don't blog, post on social media or announce your plans online.
8) Don't hide the spare key under the mat, in a fake rock, or under the planter on the front step. Burglars know he best hiding places for keys better than you do. Don't make it easy for someone to gain access to your home simply by having a key to open the front door.
Find this and more important safety tips and alerts on our Facebook Page
CWU Police & Parking Services