Skip to body

Business Services

Record Retention FAQ

Who is responsible for managing records?
Everyone!  Each University employee possesses the primary responsibility for the proper care and management of their University public records (this includes paper and electronic records). Supervisors have a responsibility to assure that their employees properly manage their public records.

Do I have to complete paperwork to destroy my records, and how do I go about destroying my records?
Yes, to destroy primary University records in any format (paper, electronic, audio, etc.) you must submit a Destruction Request Form, which must be fully signed prior to disposal of the records. Send the completed form to Kerrie Nelson at MS 7474 for review and processing.  Once approved a copy will be sent back to you and arrangements will be made to destroy the records.

What is the retention period for certain records?
To determine the DAN and retention period on the form, we use the Washington State General Records Retention Schedule and the CWU General Records Retention Schedule  Additionally we create Unique Retention Schedules if departmental records do not fall within the two General Records Retention schedules.   These schedules can be found by clicking HERE.   

If you need additional help identifying an appropriate record series, contact Kerrie Nelson, Forms & Records Analyst, at x2308

What are the next steps and how do I arrange for the shredding company to come to our department? Once the Transfer/Destruction form is completed and signed by the Department head, please forward to Business Services and for additional signatures from the University Records Officer and University Archivist. The final signed copy will be returned to you for your records.  Once you have received your completed copy you may properly destroy the approved records. You may shred the approved records yourself or contact Business Services 963-2308 to schedule the shredding truck to come to your location.


What if I don't have room to store my records for the required retention period?   We have three storage locations on campus.  Please contact Business Services to see which location would best suit your storage needs.   A transfer form must be completed and approved prior to the records being moved.

Where can I get archive boxes?
Business Services has several empty used boxes, just call (509) 963-2308 to arrange for delivery or pickup.
CWU Departments can also request new archive boxes (bundles of 10) by submitting a Supply Request Form to the Washington State Records Center.  (Be sure to include your office building and room number on the request form).

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.