Skip to body

Business Services


University Insurance

Excess Varsity Athlete InsuranceBoiler & Machinery
Commercial Property InsuranceGraduate Student Health Insurance Plan
Self-Insurance Liability PolicyMaster Day Care Policy
Master Automobile PolicyInternational Travel Insurance
Public Employees Blanket  Bond 

Optional Insurance - Risk Coverages Requiring Departmental or Student Purchase

Aviation Liability and Aircraft Insurance         Property Insurance
Marine Liability and Hull InsuranceStudent Health Insurance
Rented Vehicles and EquipmentStudent General and Professional Liability Insurance
Summer CampsForeign Liability Insurance
2015-2016 Student Health Snapshot 


For all questions and coverage information regarding our insurance policies,
please contact Toni Burvee, Director, Business Services, at (509) 963-2335 or via email at

University Insurance

Excess Varsity Athlete Insurance:  For information on the Athletic Departments excess varsity athlete insurance coverage and what to do when an injury occurs please contact the Head Athletic Trainer at (509) 963-3238 for coverage limits and claim forms.

Boiler & Machinery:  Sudden and accidental damage, including breakdown of covered boilers and machinery or part thereof that requires repair or replacement. Please contact the Director of Business Services for Limits of Coverage. Deductibles and policy limitations apply to each covered loss to scheduled boilers and machinery. Boiler & Machinery FAQ's!

Commercial Property Insurance:  Coverage is for the revenue generating buildings and University owned content that has been scheduled, i.e., Residential Services and the SURC. Deductibles and policy limitations apply to each covered loss to the schedule property.

    Loss to Employees' Property: CWU assumes NO responsibility for loss or damage to any property owned by an employee regardless of usage. Employees who use their own property for work-related uses, regardless of location, should ensure that adequate coverage is available through either their renter's or homeowner's insurance policy.

    Loss to Students' Property: CWU assumes NO responsibility for loss or damage to any university resident's personal property from any cause of loss. CWU strongly recommends that all university residents obtain insurance coverage by purchasing a renter's insurance policy through an independent agency or verifying coverage is available under a parent or guardian's homeowner's insurance policy.

    Personal property insurance with limited coverage can be purchased at For information regarding policy, contact Elaine Ames at 509 963-1838. Failure to verify or obtain personal property insurance may result in unrecoverable financial loss.

Self-Insurance Liability Policy:  The State's Self-Insurance Fund is used to pay tort claim judgments and settlements arising from general liability and vehicle accidents for which the State is found to be negligent. Please visit this LINK to access the Enterprise Wide Transportation Policy on state vehicle, private vehicle and rental vehicle usage when conducting “Official State Business”.  Visit this LINK to find detailed information on claim processing.  Please contact the Director of Business Services with all claims information and questions.

Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan:  This is a sickness and injury insurance plan for all registered Graduate Teaching Assistants taking credit hours at CWU and contracted as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.   Graduate Studies and Research automatically enrolls and pays the premiums, unless the Graduate Teaching Assistant elects otherwise.  Visit the Ascension website at to enroll and access brochures, enrollment cards (printable using Adobe Acrobat), coverage receipts, ID cards, claims status and other services. Click the following link for information about Eligibility and Costs.

Master Automobile Policy:  All state owned vehicles are insured for liability under the self-insurance fund but NOT for physical damage.  Departments purchasing a vehicle for departmental use are responsible for notifying the Director of Business services and requesting physical damage coverage be placed on the vehicle. If departments elect to obtain the physical damage coverage, the department will be responsible for paying the premium.  Please contact the Director of Business Services at (509) 963-2335 regarding questions and enrollment.

Master Day Care Policy:  Excess / Special Risk Accident Insurance policy for registered students attending the University's licensed Day Care program.  Please contact the Director of Business Services for information.

Public Employees Blanket Bond (also known as Fidelity Bond):  Public Employees Blanket Bond, including faithful performance of duty.  Loss sustained  by the Insured through any fraudulent or dishonest act or acts committed by any of the employees, acting alone or in collusion with others, during the bond period; subject to policy exclusions and limitations.   Discovery period is one year.

International Travel Insurance:  This plan takes over in a foreign country, where your regular hospitalizations and medical policies may not provide coverage. This policy provides accident and sickness, emergency medical evacuations, and repatriation of remains coverage while traveling abroad. Please contact Steve Cook in International Programs regarding coverage, options, and enrollment.

Optional Insurance - Risk Coverage Requiring Departmental or Student Purchase

Aviation Liability and Aircraft Insurance:  Please contact the Director of Business Services before acquiring or first using aircraft on behalf of CWU. Insurance coverage is NOT automatic. Coverage for this exposure is specifically excluded from our state self-insurance policy.

Foreign Liability Insurance:  The Foreign Liability Policy provides general and automobile liability coverage for state employees traveling on state business, outside the United States and its territories.  The policy provides worldwide coverage excluding the USA and its territories, and any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade or economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America. For a current list of sanctions, please see the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) website by accessing the following link;  Some examples of countries with sanctions include, but is not limited to; Cuba, Somalia, North Korea, Libya, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Burma, Belarus, Balkans, Cote d’Ivore. For excluded/sanctioned countries, additional time will be needed to try and obtain an exception to the exclusion with our carrier. Please contact the Insurance Program Manager at ext. 2335 prior to arranging for any travel services. We will need to submit the license issued by OFAC to the Universities foreign liability carrier to determine if coverage will be provided on a case by case basis.  

Coverage for foreign liability is specifically excluded from our state self-insurance policy. Therefore, it is important that all foreign travel is reported in advance when doing authorized business abroad for the University. Coverage needs to be included in the Travel Authorization form as a line item, please contact the Director, of Business Services at ext. 2335 for the current premium that will be billed. Failure to do so will result in you and the University not having insurance coverage for your foreign liability exposures.

Marine Liability and Hull Insurance:  Please contact the Director of Business Services, before acquiring or first using watercraft on behalf of CWU. Insurance coverage is NOT automatic. Coverage for this exposure is specifically excluded from our state self-insurance policy.

Property Insurance:  Except for Computer Equipment and property obtained through the sale of bonds, such as Auxiliary Services Housing and Dining facilities, the University does NOT insure against property loss.  Likewise, the personal property of employees and students is not covered unless by their own homeowner's or renter's policy. Master property FAQ's!

Rented Vehicles and Equipment:  The University does not carry property insurance for rented vehicles or equipment, with the exception of vehicles rented on the state contract with Enterprise Car Rental.  Therefore, anyone renting a vehicle or equipment on behalf of the university from any rental agency must purchase the physical damage waiver.

    ***At all times, university employees should try to rent vehicles from Enterprise under the State of Washington contract #05104. This contract provides coverage if the rental vehicle is damaged as well as liability coverage.***

Student Exchange Visitor Plan:  International students or scholars with J-Visas taking credit hours, registered for thesis or dissertation or otherwise engaged in educational activities outside their home country or country of regular domicile at institutions of higher learning in the United States are required to have an insurance plan that meets USIA guidelines.  Students who have applied for permanent residency are not eligible for the J-1 plan.  Please contact the Director, of Business Services for information.

Student Health Insurance (2015-2016): This is a medical injury and sickness insurance plan which is made available to University enrolled students which meet the eligibility requirements of the plan and pay the premium for the coverage either on an annual or quarterly basis.   Visit the Ascension website at to enroll and view benefits, access ID cards, coverage receipts, claim status or other services.  Click the following link for information about Eligibility and Costs.

Student General and Professional Liability Insurance:  If elected, the Student General Liability and Student Medical Malpractice Insurance Programs insures the general and professional liability of enrolled CWU students who furnish mental and physical health-related professional services required under curriculum or internships. Examples include athletic trainer, mental health counselor, school counselor, dance therapist, drug and alcohol counselor, marriage and family counselors, audiologist, language-speech pathologist, dietitian, physical therapist, social worker, occupational therapist, and services in the physical education, health and recreation fields. Any academic department within these and similar fields should make the General Liability and Student Medical Malpractice Insurance available to their enrolled students for purchase. The limit of liability under the policy is $1,000,000 per occurrence with a $3,000,000 per school annual aggregate. Coverage is limited to the insurance policy terms, conditions and exclusions. The cost is $20.00 for coverage through the duration of the annual master policy period, beginning and ending on September 1st of each year. It is the student's responsibility to make sure their premium is paid and their coverage is current. Download the form at Student general and professional liability insurance.doc

Student Teaching Activities: Student membership in the Washington Education Association (WEA) includes a member benefit of professional liability insurance when a student teaches as part of your preparation to become a school teacher. A complete description of the coverage is available on the WEA website. Other associations that offer professional liability insurance plans as part of membership include the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) and National Association for Education of Young Children (NAEYC). These are not state programs.

Other Professional Activities: Some professional associations offer liability insurance resources to student members. For example, the National Society of Accountants (NSA) offers discounted professional liability insurance protection as a service. Another resource is through a commercial insurance broker. For example, Marsh offers professional liability insurance to students through Marsh ProLiability. These are not state programs.

Summer Camps:  There is no pre-arranged coverage for this exposure.  University camp directors need to report all camps to the Insurance Program Manager prior to the start of the camp. Coverage includes limited excess / medical insurance for each participant and will be billed to the camp. Please contact the Director of Business Services for information.

The descriptions herein are summaries only and do not include all terms, conditions and exclusions. Please contact Toni Burvee, Director, Business Services with questions at (509) 963-2335 or via email at