BARRY GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP: is designed to attract outstanding students into research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to students who are sophomores or juniors during the current academic year and who have excellent academic records and demonstrated interest in and potential for research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
The scholarship covers eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year. Junior scholarship recipients can expect to receive a maximum of two years of scholarship support. Senior scholarship recipients are eligible for a maximum of one year of scholarship support.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
1. Be a current sophomore or junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree on a full-time basis. A current sophomore student in a two-year college who plans to transfer to a baccalaureate program may be nominated.
2. Have an average of at least B or the equivalent and be in the upper fourth of
his or her class.
3. Be a U.S. citizen or Permanent resident.
4. Have a demonstrated interest in a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
5. Be nominated by his or her college or university on the official online nomination
survey application provided by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in
HOW TO APPLY:
CWU Application Instructions, and the Preliminary CWU Application form are due by 5:00pm, November 25th to:
Dr. David Darda, Associate Dean
College of the Sciences
Dean Hall, Room 130
Application materials can be found by going to the COTS website (http://www.cwu.edu/sciences) or to http://www.cwu.edu/sciences/undergraduate-scholarships
A distinguished committee of educators; deans; and mathematics, natural science, and engineering faculty members will review the nominee’s credentials and recommend a
pool of qualified individuals to the Board of Trustees of the Goldwater Foundation. The
Trustees will make the final approval.
Faculty Reps must submit their online nominations by 5:00 p.m. central time
January 31, 2014. All supporting documents must be received by February 3, 2014.
For application information at CWU contact:
Dr. David Darda, College of the Sciences