Clay Arango, PhDDepts of Biological Sciences/Geography
Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, Biological Sciences, 2007
M.S. Central Washington University, Natural Resource Management, 2001
Fundamentals of Biology, Earth as an Ecosystem, Human Ecology, Quantitative Methods in Biology
My research focuses on how humans modify the uptake and transformation of nutrients in stream ecosystems. Current lines of research include 1) how stream restoration affects whole-stream carbon metabolism and nitrogen and phosphorus uptake, and 2) nutrient limitation of stream biofilms in the headwaters of salmon-bearing streams.
- Beaulieu, J.J., C.P. Arango, and J.L. Tank. In press. The effects of season and agriculture on N2O production in headwater streams. Journal of Environmental Quality.
- Arango, C. P., J. L. Tank, L. T. Johnson, and S. K. Hamilton. 2008. Assimilatory uptake rather than nitrification and denitrification determines nitrogen removal patterns in streams of varying land use. Limnol. Oceanogr. 53: 2558-2572.
- Mulholland, P.J., A.M. Helton, G.C. Poole, R.O. Hall, Jr., S.K. Hamilton, B.J. Peterson, J.L. Tank, L.R. Ashkenas, L.W. Cooper, C.N. Dahm, W.K. Dodds, S. Findlay, S.V. Gregory, N.B. Grimm, S.L. Johnson, W.H. McDowell, J.L. Meyer, H.M. Valett, J.R. Webster, C.P. Arango, J.J. Beaulieu, M.J. Bernot, A.J. Burgin, C. Crenshaw, L. Johnson, B.R. Niederlehner, J.M. O'Brien, J.D. Potter, R.W. Sheibley, D.J. Sobota, and S.M Thomas. 2008. Excess nitrate from agricultural and urban areas reduces denitrification efficiency in streams. Nature 452:202-205.
- Beaulieu, J.J., C.P. Arango, S.K. Hamilton, J.L. Tank. 2008. The production and emission of nitrous oxide from headwater streams in the Midwestern USA. Global Change Biology 14:878-894.
- C.P. Arango, and J.L. Tank. 2008. Land use influences the spatio-temporal controls on nitrification and denitrification in headwater streams. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 27:90-107
- C.P. Arango, J.L Tank, J.L. Schaller, T.V. Royer, M.J. Bernot, and M.B. David. 2007. Benthic organic carbon influences denitrification in streams with high nitrate concentration. Freshwater Biology 52:1210-1222.
- S.K. Hamilton, A.L. Kurtzman, C.P. Arango, L. Jin, and G.P. Robertson. 2007. Evidence for carbon sequestration by agricultural liming. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 21, GB2021, doi:10.1029/2006GB002738.