Click below forUndergraduate Student Achievement Cover Sheet
The College of Arts and Humanities takes great pride in recognizing the excellent work of our undergraduate students and is pleased to announce the call for entries for the following undergraduate student achievement awards:
• The Thomas Gause Award for Achievement in Music: Performance
This award is given annually in alternate years for outstanding work in composition or performance. The genre for 2015-2016 is performance. The award will be given to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize an original music performance. Submissions should include a copy of the program for the event and a CD recording of a performance of the piece.
• The Betty E. Evans Award for Achievement in Creative Writing: Poetry
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single work of creative writing. Genres alternate between short fiction, play writing and screen writing one year, and poetry the next. The genre for 2015-2016 is poetry. Manuscripts must be computer-generated and include a title.
• CAH Award for Achievement in Non-Fiction Writing: Journalism
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single piece of journalism. Manuscripts must include a title, and prepared for electronic submission.
• The George Stillman Award for Achievement in Art: 3-Dimensional Works
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single work of three-dimensional creative artistry. Entries must be submitted as a photographic print or in digital format on disc and the title of the piece written
on the photograph or disc.
• CAH Award for Achievement in Performance: Recorded Performance
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single recorded performance: film and video or broadcast journalism. Student producers/directors or reporters wishing to enter their work for this category should include a one-page synopsis of the work (including TRT, date of the production, and cast and crew credits, as appropriate) and a copy of the work in CD, jump drive, or DVD format (do not submit originals). All entries become the property of CAH.
• The Raymond Smith Award for Achievement in Scholarship
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single scholarly work. As many as two awards may be given each year. Manuscripts must be computer-generated and include a title and scholarly paper.
• The Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Awards
At least two $250 awards are given annually to a CAH undergraduate student who has an excellent academic record and has demonstrated a commitment to improving our campus and/or local communities. Students must be nominated for this award by one or more faculty members. Nomination letters should address the criteria above and be accompanied by the student's resume.
NOTE: Nominations for the Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Award do not require a cover sheet
Rules of Entry:
- Students may submit entries in any or all of the six competitions, but are limited to one entry per competition. Entries can be work submitted for a class, or created specifically for the award competition.
- For each entry, except the Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Award, an official cover sheet should be completed and submitted electronically. Cover sheets are also available in each of the eight CAH department offices; Art, Communication, English, History, Music, Philosophy, Theatre Arts, and World Languages. They are also available at the Dean's office.
- The student's name should not appear on the entry proper to enable anonymous judging.
Deadline and Submission format:
- To be eligible, complete a cover sheet and submit to the CAH Dean's office by:
- 5:00 PM, Tuesday, March 15th, 2016.
For each entry, except the Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Award, complete a cover sheet and submit via the following options to the CAH Dean's office:
a. Mail to: CAH Dean's office, 400 E. University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7518
b. Hand deliver to: Hebeler Building, Room 202 and Campus Mail to: MS 7518
c. Electronically: CAHDean@cwu.edu - submit (.pdf) documents, (.jpeg) photos, audio, and video files.
Each recipient will receive a non-monetary award, with the exception of The Marji Morgan Outstanding Student award. You will be recognized, along with other honorees, at the College of Arts and Humanities Year End Celebration on May 10, 2016 at the SURC Ballroom from 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM.