Academic Year 2014-2015
Click below forUndergraduate Student Achievement Cover Sheet
The College of Arts and Humanities takes great pride in recognizing the excellent work of our undergraduate students and is pleased to announce the call for entries for the following undergraduate student achievement awards:
• The Thomas Gause Award for Achievement in Music: Performance
This award is given annually in alternate years for outstanding work in composition or performance. The genre for 2014-2015 is performance. The award will be given to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize an original music performance. Submissions should include a copy of the program for the event and a CD recording of a performance of the piece.
• The Betty E. Evans Award for Achievement in Creative Writing: Poetry
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single work of creative writing. Genres alternate between short fiction, play writing and screen writing one year, and poetry the next. The genre for 2014-2015 is poetry. Manuscripts must be computer-generated and include a title.
• CAH Award for Achievement in Non-Fiction Writing: Creative Non-Fiction
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single piece of non-fiction writing. The genres alternate between journalism and creative non-fiction. The genre for 2014-2015 is creative non-fiction. Manuscripts must be computer-generated and include a title.
• The George Stillman Award for Achievement in Art: 2-Dimensional Works
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single work of creative artistry. Categories alternate between 3-dimensional and 2-dimensional works. The category for 2014-2015 is 2-dimensional works. Entries must be submitted in photograph or slide form with the "top" clearly indicated and the title of the piece written on the photograph or slide.
• CAH Award for Achievement in Performance: Live Performance, Theatre or Music
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single performance. Categories alternate between recorded (film and video, broadcast journalism) and live (theatrical or music) performance. The category for 2014-2015 is live performance. Student producers/directors or reporters wishing to enter their work for this category should include a one-page synopsis of the work (including TRT, date of the production, and cast & crew credits, as appropriate) and a copy of the work in either VHS or DVD format (do not submit originals). All entries become the property of CWU, College of Arts and Humanities.
• The Raymond Smith Award for Achievement in Scholarship
This award is given annually to a CAH undergraduate student to recognize a single scholarly work. As many as two awards may be given each year. Manuscripts must be computer-generated and include a title and scholarly paper.
• The Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Awards
At least two $250 awards are given annually to a CAH undergraduate student who has an excellent academic record and has demonstrated a commitment to improving our campus and/or local communities. Students must be nominated for this award by one or more faculty members. Nomination letters should address the criteria above and be accompanied by the student's resume.
Rules of Entry:
- Students may submit entries in any or all of the seven competitions, but are limited to one entry per competition. Entries can be work submitted for a class, or created specifically for the award competition.
- For each entry, an official cover sheet should be completed and submitted electronically. Cover sheets are also available in each of the eight CAH department offices; Art, Communication, English, History, Music, Philosophy, Theatre Arts, and World Languages. They are also available at the Dean's office.
- The student's name should not appear on the entry proper to enable anonymous judging.
- Deadline and Submission format:
- To be eligible, complete a cover sheet and submit to the CAH Dean's office by:
- 5:00 PM, Wednesday, April 22, 2015
For each entry, complete a cover sheet and submit via the following options to the CAH Dean's office:
a. Mail to: CAH Dean's office, 400 E. University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7518
b. Hand deliver to: Hebeler Building, Room 202 and Campus Mail to: MS 7518
c. Electronically: CAHDean@cwu.edu - submit (.pdf) documents, (.jpeg) photos, audio, and video files.
Each recipient will receive $100, with the exception of The Marji Morgan Outstanding Student award, which is $250. You will be recognized, along with other honorees, at the College of Arts and Humanities Awards Reception on May 06, 2015 at the SURC Ballroom from 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM.