B.S. Biology, University of Cincinnati, 1986
Office: Dean Hall 338
Interests & Expertise
- Archaeology, zooarchaeology, methods, cultural resource management, western North America
- More than 30 field seasons in both academic/research and cultural resource management settings
- Work in Alaska, California, Colorado, Illinois, Ohio, Nevada, North Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, France, and Tunisia
- Extensive work in Washington and Wyoming
- Completion of more than 80 archaeological reports
- Professor, Central Washington University, 2010-present
- Associate Professor, Central Washington University, 2005-2010 (Faculty Mentor Award, SOURCE 2007)
- Assistant Professor, Central Washington University, 2000-2005 (Excellence in Teaching Award 2005)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Western Wyoming Community College, 1998-2000
Courses Taught at CWU Since 2010
- Anth 107 General Anthropology
- Anth 120 Introduction to Archaeology
- Anth 296 Individual Study
- Anth 301 Principles and Assessment
- Anth 322 World Prehistory
- Anth 425 Zooarchaeology
- Anth 427 Environmental Archaeology
- Anth 458 Senior Comprehensive Survey
- Anth 486 Advanced Archaeological Methods
- Anth 493 Anthropological Field Experience
- Anth 496 Individual Study
- REM 501 Introduction to Resource Management
- REM 505 Introduction to Graduate Research
- See Curriculum Vitae for a full list
- For PDF copies, please see ResearchGate or Academia.edu or email me
- Lubinski, PM (2016) Bison Remains from ~14,000 14C yr BP at the Wenas Creek Mammoth Site in Washington State. PaleoAmerica, in press.
- Vickers, S [student], PM Lubinski, L Henebry DeLeon, JT Bowen (2015) Proposed Method for Predicting Pair Matching of Skeletal Elements Allows Too Many False Rejections. Journal of Forensic Sciences 60:102-106.
- Lubinski, PM, K Terry, PT McCutcheon (2014) Comparative Methods for Distinguishing Flakes from Geofacts: A Case Study from the Wenas Creek Mammoth Site. Journal of Archaeological Science 52:308-320.
- Lubinski, PM, J Feathers, K Lillquist (2014) Single-Grain Luminescence Dating of Sediment Surrounding a Possible Late Pleistocene Artifact from the Wenas Creek Mammoth Site, Pacific Northwest, USA. Geoarchaeology 29:16-32.
- Lubinski, PM (2013) What is Adequate Evidence for Mass Procurement of Ungulates in Zooarchaeology? Quaternary International 297:167-175.
- Lubinski, PM., MA Partlow (2012) Evidence for Local Fish Catch in Zooarchaeology. Journal of Ethnobiology 32(2):228-245.
- Lubinski, PM (2011) Comments on Evidence for Hunting of Pronghorn Herds in Prehistory Northwest Science, 85(1):68-70.
- Lubinski, PM., BS Shaffer (2010) Experimental Zooarchaeology: Research Directions and Methods. In Designing Experimental Research in Archaeology: Examining Technology through Production and Use, (Ferguson JR, Ed.), pp. 241-257. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.
- Lubinski, PM., PT Mcutcheon, K Lilliquist, M Uebelacker, BR Barton, and JT Shapley [student] (2009) Possible Lithic Artifacts from 2005-2007 Excavations at the Wenas Creek Mammoth Site Current Research in the Pleistocene 26:85-86.
- Lubinski, PM, LT Evans [student] and MD Metcalf (2007) Lithic Artifacts of the Firehole Basin Site (48SW1217). The Wyoming Archaeologist 51(1):20-34
- Middleton, JL [student], PM Lubinski, and MD Metcalf (2007) Ceramics from the Firehole Basin Site and Firehole Phase in the Wyoming Basin. Plains Anthropologist 52(201):29-41.
- Lubinski, PM and GC Burtchard (2005) Fryingpan Rockshelter (45Pl43): A Subalpine Fauna in Mount Rainier National Park. Archaeology in Washington 11:35-52.
- Lubinski, PM (2003) Rabbit Hunting and Bone Bead Production at a Late Prehistoric Camp in the Wyoming Basin. North American Archaeologist 24(3):197-214.
- Lubinski, PM (2001) Estimating Age and Season of Death of Pronghorn Antelope (Antilocapra americana) by Means of Tooth Eruption and Wear. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 11(3):218-230. [
- Lubinski, PM and CJ O'Brien (2001) Observations on Seasonality and Mortality from a Recent Catastrophic Death Assemblage. Journal of Archaeological Science 28(8)833-842.
- Lubinski, PM (2000) Of Bison and Lesser Mammals: Prehistoric Hunting Patterns in the Wyoming Basin. In Intermountain Archaeology (Madsen DB & Metcalf MD, Eds.), pp. 176-188. University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 122. Salt Lake City. 1.4
- Lubinski, PM (2000) Prehistoric Fishing in the Rocky Mountains. Plains Anthropologist 45(172):155-168.
- Lubinski, PM (2000) A Comparison of Methods for Evaluating Ungulate Mortality Distributions. In Assessing Season of Capture, Age and Sex of Archaeofaunas. (Pike-Tay, A., ed.), pp. 121-134. ArchaeoZoologia XI, Grenoble, France.
- Lubinski, PM (1999) The Communal Pronghorn Hunt: A Review of the Ethnographic and Archaeological Evidence. Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology 21(2):158-181.
- Lubinski, PM (1996) Fish Heads, Fish Heads: An Experiment on Differential Bone Preservation in a Salmonid Fish. Journal of Archaeological Science 23:175-181.
Selected Student Theses
- See Curriculum Vitae for a full list
- For PDF copies, please email me
- Hale, T (2016). Species Identification of the Stylohyoid Bone for North American Artiodactyls.
- Aymond, A (2015) A Zooarchaeological Analysis of the Monashka Bay Site (KOD-026) Kodiak Island, Alaska.
- Brown, GA (2015) Using Particle Size Analysis to Separate the Deposition of a Bonebed and Artifact at the Wenas Creek Mammoth Site.
- Moose, CJ (2015) Rediscovering an Upland Site: The Manastash Pines (45KT346), Kittitas County, Washington.
- Morse, NJ (2015) Interpretation of Shell δ18o and δ13c from Two Hells Canyon Study Sites: A Methods Approach to Analysis.
- Stanley, S (2014) Alpine and Other Abandoned Towns along the Great Northern Railroad near Steven’s Pass, Washington, 1890-1930.
- Murphy, A (2014) Geoarchaeological Investigation on the Babcock Bench, Columbia Plateau, Washington.
- Baughman, D (2013) Experiments to Measure the Effects of Timber Harvesting Equipment on Surface Lithic Scatters.
- Lauver, E (2012) Evaluation of Fall Chinook Egg-To-Fry Survival Study Methods in the Priest Rapids Hatchery Discharge Channel.
- Valenta, J (2012) The Identification and Historic Context of Mining Archaeology of the Wenatchee Mountains within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
- Shea, H (2012) The Grissom Site (45KT301): A Review and Synthesis of Investigations and Exploration of the Site’s Research Potential.
- Jankowski, S (2012) Testing the Pointing Cairn Hypothesis: Analysis of Stacked Rock Features at 35LK1483.
- Tomlin, L (2010) Evaluation of Rock Features near Stevenson, Washington.
- Evans, L (2009) Lithic Technology of the Southern Washington Cascades: An Upper Cowlitz Case Study.
- Haney, F (2008) The Down-Easter Austria: The Archaeological, Historical, and Educational Value of a Foreshore Shipwreck Site.
- Sybrowsky, B (2008) Wrangling Out a Hidden Past: Horse Drive Traps in Central Idaho, 1180-1950.
- Middleton J. (2008) Assessing, Quantifying, and Monitoring Impacts from Visitor Use to Archaeological Resources at Yosemite National Park, California
- CWU Zooarchaeology Laboratory
- Wenas Creek Mammoth Investigation, Yakima County, Washington
- Zooarchaeology of sites in central Washington
- Artiodactyl hyoid identification guide
- Quantification in fish size estimates and artiodactyl mortality profiles
- Fish remains from Paisley Cave, Oregon