Professor and Resource Management Co-Chair
B.A. Anthropology, University of Tulsa, 1976
Office: Dean Hall 349
Interests & Expertise
- Cultural ecology, archaeology, cultural resource management, North America, Meso-America and Caribbean cultures.
- Professor, Department of Anthropology, CWU, 2001-Present
- Chair, Department of Anthropology, Associate Professor, CWU (1995-2000).
- Co-Director, Resource Management Masters Program, CWU, (1995-2006; 2010 -Present).
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anthropology /Sociology, Univ.Wisconsin Centers (1989-1995).
- Adjunct, Department of Anthropology and Acting Director, Central Washington Archaeological Survey (CWAS),
- CWU, Ellensburg, WA (1988-1989).
- Director, Washington Archaeological Research Center (WARC) Pullman, WA (1988). Previously Assistant Director (1980-1985).
- Museum Curator, Barbados Museum and Historical Society, Barbados, WI (US Peace Corps 1985-1987).
Recent Grants and Contract Projects (List available for earlier projects)
- Earthwatch (W. G. Cauffmann,) Yakama Nation Cultural Landscapes (2009).
- US ACE, Walla Walla District and HDR Engineering (w/ L. Deleon,) (2009).
- US Army Yakima Training Center and ICI Inc., (w/ T. Orvald,) (2007-2010).
Selected Publications (List available for reports and manuscripts)
- 2012 (w/ Chatters, J. C., B. Lenz, A. M. Prentiss, and J. Thomas) The Paleoindian to Archaic Transition in the Pacific Northwest: In Situ Development or Ethnic Replacement? In The Paleoindian to Archaic Transition in North America, edited by C. B. Bousman, Texas A&M University Press, College Station. (See article)
- 2009 (w/ L. Deleon, S. Campbell and L. Tisdale) Recommendations Regarding Cultural Affiliation of Human Remains and Funerary Items from Marmes Rockshelter. Prepared for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Walla Walla District By HDR Engineering, Inc.
- 2009 Columbia Plateau and Great Basin Settlement. Archaeology in America, F. McManamon general editor, Greenwood Publishing Group, Westport, CT.
- 2008 (w/ Liu, L., T. Gabany-Guerrero, and S. Arcone) Subsurface characterization with GPR for detecting Archaic archaeological features in highland Michoacán, Mexico, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR ‘08), Birmingham, UK
- 2004 (w/ R. Malhi, K. Breece, B.Shook, F. Kaestle, J. Chatters, and D. Smith) Patterns of mtDNA Diversity in Northwestern North America. Human Biology (76, 1). (See Mahli et al.)
- 2000 (w/ L. Deleon and E. Shumate) Cultural Affiliation Study of the Kennewick Humans Remains: Chapter 5, Review of Bio-archaeological and Mortuary Information. http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/kennewick/. National Park Service, Washington D.C.
- 1998 (with T. Roll) Prehistory of the Eastern Columbia Plateau: Northern Rocky Mountain Prehistory. In Columbia Plateau, Handbook of North American Indians. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
Recent Conference Papers (List available other conference papers)
- 2011 Purépecha Heritage: Landscapes of Power and Authority, Michoacan. Second Conference on Ethnicity, Race and Indigenous Peoples in Latin America and the Caribbean, UC-San Diego; hosted by Latin American Studies Association Section for Ethnicity, Race, and Indigenous Peoples (ERIP). NWCA Poster Session
- 2011 (w/ Neal Endacott and Patrick Lewis) Late Holocene Increases in Artiodactyl Populations in the Columbia Basin: A Case Study from the Sanders Site, Southcentral WA, SAA Scaramento, CA.
- 2011 (w/ T. Trosper, L. Ely and K. Ried) Snake River Paleofloods and Occupational Patterns within the Redbird Beach Archaeological Site, Hells Canyon, ID. GSA Rocky Mountain and Cordilleran Conference, Park City, UT.
- 2010 (w/ Estanislado Vargas, E. Witkowski, and others) House Settlements and Economic Strategies on the Middle Columbia River, Vantage Area, Northwest Anthropological Conference, Ellensburg, WA. (updated with E. Risdon for Wanapum Archaeology day Presentation Fall 2011).
- 2010 (W/ Tropser, Ely and others) Implications of Climate Change and Tephra Accumulation on the Lacustrine Environment at an Archaeological Site in Michoacan, Mexico. NWAC, Ellensburg, WA.
- 2009 (w/ Elizabeth Witkowski) Radiocarbon Chronology for Vantage Area House Settlements: Middle Columbia River, Northwest Anthropological Conference, Newport, OR. (See pit-house ppt.)
- 2008 The Sacred Geography of La Alberca: The Landscape of Early Power and Authority. 41st Chacmool Conference, University of Calgary, Alberta, CA.
- 2008 (w/ T Orvald and G. Cauffman) GIS Models of Archaeological Site Location on the Middle Columbia River. SAA, Vancouver BC.