The school Administrator Certification Program (ACP) at Central Washington University (CWU) prepares educational leaders to assume management and instructional responsibilities needed to facilitate learning in a diverse world.
Focusing on the nature, theory, principles, and practices of administration in the educational setting, the program has been designed for experienced teachers, department chairs, consultants, supervisors, curriculum leaders, and subject area specialists who have indicated an interest in considering educational administration as a career or who wish to develop an understanding of the administrative process.
Professional Education Advisory Board
Standards for the certification of school administrators in the State of Washington, adopted by the State Board of Education, require that every program preparing educational professionals be developed by a Professional Education Advisory Board (PEAB). The PEAB is a collaborative partnership made up of representatives from school districts, specialized professional organizations, and colleges/universities. The CWU school administration PEAB advises the University regarding the development, implementation, and revision of the professional preparation program for school administrators, and includes representation from: the Washington Association of School Administrators (WASA); the Association of Washington School Principals (AWSP); the Washington Education Association (WEA); the Washington State School Director's Association (WSSDA); other specialized professional education organizations; and CWU. The Department of Education at CWU has management responsibility.
All candidates seeking administrator certification through CWU (i.e., Principal's Certificate; Administrator Certificate in Instructional Leadership; Administrator Certificate in Special Education) ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLETING THE FOLLOWING ADMISSION PROCEDURES:
(Please note: completing these requirements does not guarantee admission to Central Washington University or the degree program)
STEP #1: Admission to the University:
- All students seeking admission to the ACP must be formally admitted as a MATRICULATED STUDENT to CWU. Students can satisfy University admission requirements by completing the online application (if applying to earn a masters degree in the program choose the Graduate path, if you have a masters degree and will be doing the certification program choose the "Returning" link and follow the Post-Baccalaureate path). A $50.00 application fee and official transcripts from all colleges other than CWU, with proof of degree must be submitted to:
Director of Admissions
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7463
Please apply for the term, in which you plan to begin course work.
It is the policy of CWU not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or the presence of any handicap in its education programs, activities, admissions or employment policies.
If you have been admitted to and enrolled in a Master's degree program at CWU, you have satisfied the requirement for admission to the University.
NOTE: Each time a student completes a degree or certificate program from the University, they terminate their active enrollment status, and if they wish to seek additional degrees or certificates, they must reapply for formal admission. Active enrollment status is also terminated if courses are not taken the previous academic quarter. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your admission status, contact the CWU Office of Admissions immediately (509) 963-1211.
STEP #2: Admission to a Master's Degree Program:
- All candidates not holding a master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization must be admitted to the CWU School of Graduate Studies and Research or to another approved Master's Degree Program. Inquiries regarding graduate studies at CWU should be directed to the Office of Graduate Studies, (509)963-3101.
STEP #3: Admission to the Administrator Certification Program (ACP):
- All candidates seeking admission to a CWU administrator certification program shall meet/provide the following:
- Application Materials (provide the following):
- TO APPLY: Submit a completed Application for Admission to the ACP.
- A typewritten personal statement detailing his/her educational leadership objectives and experience.This personal statement will be evaluated by the PEAB using the Letter of Intent Rubric.
- All unofficial transcripts from colleges/universities confirming Bachelors and any advanced degrees (In addition to official transcripts sent to the Director of Admissions).
- A copy of a valid Washington State teaching/ESA certificate.
- Submit all application materials to:
- Department of Advanced Programs
- Central Washington University
- 400 East University Way
- Ellensburg, WA 98926-7404
- PEAB approval for admission.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher cumulative for the last 45 graded quarter credit hours.
- Experience of at least two completed years of successful, contracted classroom teaching in a public or private school system.
- AFTER receiving notification, by letter, of formal admittance to the ACP by the School Administrator PEAB, IT IS THE CANDIDATE'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SEEK ALL THE NECESSARY INFORMATION RELATED TO THE PROGRAM IN THE HANDBOOK.
DOWNLOAD OF THE ADMINISTRATOR CERTIFICATION HANDBOOK IS REQUIRED.
- NOTE: Candidates seeking certification as a Principal or Administrator must complete all course work and internship requirements within six (6) years.