Skip to body

Private Or Out-Of-State Credits

If you transfer from a private or out of state college you will receive an official credit evaluation prior to your initial course registration provided you have been formally admitted to CWU and have submitted final transcripts from all schools attended. Your credits will generally transfer as follows: 

To satisfy the CWU General Education Requirements

If you will transfer from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon or Utah with an approved associate degree then you will automatically satisfy the CWU General Education Requirements. Otherwise, please see the information below. 

Courses with the exact same or very similar course titles and course descriptions will normally transfer as direct course equivalents to satisfy the various areas of the CWU General Education Requirements. Course numbers are not as important since course numbers vary between institutions. You can view the short course descriptions for courses in the CWU General Education Requirements by clicking on the course title. 

If you will be transferring from a private university in Washington you can view the course equivalencies that CWU has established with these schools. 

After transfer students have been formally admitted to CWU (and have submitted final transcripts) the Office of the Registrar conducts official credit evaluations to determine which courses satisfy the various areas of the CWU General Education Requirements. The Office of the Registrar does not award credit towards any particular academic major. 

Courses that are not equivalent to CWU courses generally transfer as elective credits. However, the following courses generally do not transfer:
  • College courses numbered below 100-level (example: Math 99)
  • Developmental, transitional or remedial education courses
  • English as a second language courses
  • Courses specific to one religion
  • Credit for life experience
To satisfy the course requirements in your academic major

Generally speaking, CWU academic departments tend to award equivalent transfer credit for courses that meet the spirit and intent of their courses. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to submit transcripts for departmental review in order to receive transfer credit for courses in your major. You may call (509) 963-1211 and ask to be transferred to any academic department. If you plan to attend a CWU University Center, please contact you appropriate center.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.