FIRST YEAR (FRESHMAN) STUDENT ADMISSIONS PROCESS
Applicants with a 3.4 cumulative GPA or higher and have satisfied the CADR requirements (see below) will be automatically admitted regardless of ACT or SAT score*.
*Applicants must still submit an ACT or SAT test scores. Test scores are required if you are applying for Financial Aid and also used for scholarship consideration and for placement into English and Math courses at CWU.
Applicants with a 3.00 - 3.39 cumulative GPA who have satisfied the CADR requirements will be considered for admission based on grades AND test scores.
For applicants with CADR deficiencies, Admissions will take into account, grade trends, course rigor, senior year course schedule, and ACT/SAT scores.
Applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 - 2.99 and/or CADR deficiencies will be considered through CWU's Admissions Review Process. In this process we consider grade trends, course rigor, senior year course schedule, and ACT/SAT scores.
CWU does not require an essay at the time of application. If during the review process we feel additional information will be helpful we will request it.
To be considered for admissions, students must have at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA in high school and any applicable college work.
COLLEGE ACADEMIC DISTRIBUTION REQUIREMENTS (CADR)
CADR refers to college admission criteria established by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). Each school district determines which of its courses meet CADR guidelines. Students are encouraged to take additional courses above and beyond the minimum CADR requirements listed below.
- English: 4 credits (including 3 credits of literature and composition)
- Math: 3 credits (including algebra I, algebra II and geometry)
- Senior year Math-Based Quantitative Course: 1 credit. (Acceptable courses include algebra I, algebra II, geometry, pre-calculus and above, math analysis, statistics, applied math, appropriate career and technical courses, or an algebra-based science course such as chemistry or physics. If you take and pass pre-calculus, math analysis or calculus prior to your senior year, you're exempt from this requirement.)
- Social Science: 3 credits
- Lab Science: 2 credits (one credit required in an algebra based lab science)
- World Language: 2 credits of the same world language, Native American language or American Sign Language
- 1 credit of fine, visual, or performing arts, or electives from any of the other required CADR areas.