Skip to body


International FAQs

What is the I-20 and when will I receive it?

The I-20 is a "Certificate of Eligibility" that is issued to International students who have been approved for admissions to Central Washington University. The I-20 is a document that students must have if they are intending to apply for a student (F-1) visa. ONLY STUDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO THE UNIVERSITY WILL BE ISSUED AN I-20. Students must also attend classes on a full-time basis to be eligible for the I-20. After you are admitted to the University, you will receive your I-20 and acceptance letter in the mail to the address you list on your application.

Can I be Conditionally Admitted without the required TOEFL score?

Yes, if all the other requirements are complete you can receive conditional admission through the UESL Program.

Who will my advisor be?

After you receive your acceptance letter and I-20, you will be sent a welcome packet of information from International Student Services. The packet will include important information about registration and orientation. As an incoming freshman you will meet with the advisor to International Students and Scholars to register for classes. If you are a transfer student and/or have a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent), then you will need to meet with an advisor within the department of your major. Once you are on campus you can contact your major department to find out who your advisor will be.

How can I get a catalog?

Students are given a complimentary catalog when they arrive for orientation and registration. If you would like to have one before then, you can view the catalog online.

What are some of CWU's largest majors?

Central Washington University has over 100 majors to choose from. In addition, there are ten pre-professional programs such as Pre-Med and Pre-Law. Some of our largest majors include Teacher Education; Accounting; Business Administration; Physical Education, Health & Leisure Studies; Law and Justice; Psychology; Industrial Engineering Technology; Administrative Management and Business Education.

When will I hear if I am accepted or not?

It usually takes three to four weeks to process your application materials. Once an admissions decision is made, it can take up to four weeks to receive your acceptance letter and I-20 depending on what country the documents are being sent to (some take longer than others). For this reason, it is extremely important to get your application materials submitted as soon as possible before the quarter starts to allow plenty of time for the I-20 to reach you.

How do I apply for housing?

Around the time you receive your acceptance letter and I-20, you will also receive two booklets, one called "Room and Board Contract" and the other "Acceptance Information". The Acceptance Information booklet gives you detailed information about housing and dining options available to students. After you have reviewed the information and decided where you might want to live and what meal plan to have, you will then need to fill out the contract contained in the Room and Board Contract booklet and mail it to us with your housing deposit. For more information about housing, contact the Office of Residential Services.

How many students attend CWU?

We have about 7500 undergraduate students and 500 graduate students. We also have about 1000 students attending our six University Center Locations throughout the state of Washington.

Where is Ellensburg and what is it like?

Ellensburg is located at the geographical center of the state of Washington. Located just east of the majestic Cascade Mountain range, Ellensburg is less than two hours from Seattle. The mountains block much of the rain from the wet "westside" of the state, producing a dry climate with less than 10 inches of rainfall a year and over 320 days of sunshine. Ellensburg has four distinct seasons including very warm summers, a mild spring and fall, and snow in the winter.

Ellensburg is a small college town with a population of about 15,000 (including CWU students). It is a friendly, fun, and safe place to live, and CWU students are welcomed as valued members of the community. The rural area provides many outdoor activities for students including hiking, fishing, mountain biking, boating, and horseback riding. Many students enjoy rafting down the Yakima River during the warmer months. During the winter months, students enjoy snow skiing at one of the four ski resorts in the surrounding area.

Admission Without TOEFL

Receive conditional admission to CWU by completing our University English as a Second Language (UESL) program.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.