Apply to CWU

Request Info.

Bouillon Hall 202

First-Year Admission Procedures and Additional Information

Central recognizes that many factors affect grades and test scores, so the university utilizes the admissions review process. First-Year applicants whose cumulative GPA is 2.99 or below and/or who are missing any of the high school CADR requirements, may be asked to submit an essay. Please do not send essay or letters of recommendation unless asked. The application will go through the admissions review process.

Other students who may be reviewed through the admissions review process include those who have not completed high school, earned a General Education Development (GED) certificate, as well as students 25 or older who have poor academic histories and have not attended school recently. Applicants may be required to complete supplemental application forms and/or submit additional information or essays.

  • Check Your Application Status

    To chck your admission status you can log back into your application or you can create your MyCWU student account. You should have received an email from CWU that contained your temporary password. The CWU Account Management tool can help you set up your account and reset your password. You will receive a message verifying that your password change was successful.

    Once you have created your Password, you can login into MyCWU​ following the steps below:

    1. Go to and click on MyCWU (upper right hand side of the web page).
    2. Enter your Username and Password.

    If you have attended Central Washington University previously, and already have an account, you may continue to use your current credentials. If you've lost your password, you may reset your password.

    MyCWU will display your Admissions Toolbox where you can check on your application status, see if you're missing documents, check your financial aid status, and much more.

    Please call 509-963-2001 for technical assistance for MyCWU. Call 509-963-1211 for questions regarding the admissions process.

  • Admission Essay

    Central Washington University recognizes that many factors can affect your grades and test scores. CWU utilizes a Comprehensive Admissions Review Process so that we can get to know you and your unique experiences better. The process was created to best determine your potential success as a student at CWU.

    With that in mind, we may ask you to submit a personal statement during the application process. All information provided will only be used as part of the admissions process and will be kept confidential.

  • Home Schooled & GED Students

    Home Schooled Students

    A Home-school student is any applicant who will complete their high school coursework at home and will not receive a diploma from an accredited high school. An applicant is qualified for First-Year admission if they:

    • Present evidence of their completion of the academic CADR courses by submitting an official home-school transcript. Transcripts must be signed by a parent in order to be official.
    • Submit ACT or SAT scores
    • Provide The GED as proof of high school completion. A GED is not required but may be submitted to participate in varsity athletics.
    • Submit any official college transcripts (if applicable). Regardless of the number of college credits completed, students earning college credit in high school will be considered freshmen for admissions purposes as long as they do not take coursework after graduation from high school (excluding summer).

    All home-schooled students will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Process.

    GED Students

    Any applicant who submits a General Education Diploma (GED) in lieu of a high school transcript/graduation for First-Year admission will be considered and reviewed on an individual bases. Students must submit SAT, ACT or Accuplacer scores. If the student has any course work/transcript from a high school they must submit those transcripts. GED recipients will be reviewed through the Admissions Review Program.

  • Advanced Placement

    The University will grant at a minimum elective credit for College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exams completed with a score of three (3) or higher. Students may receive credit for advanced placement with a grade of S, depending upon the scores achieved on the College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Test (AP). Students must request that their AP test scores be sent to the Office of the Registrar at Central. To learn more, please see the Office of the Registrar's website. To learn more about Advanced Placement Tests, visit our online undergraduate catalog and search for “Advanced Placement.”

  • Admission Appeal

    Would you like the CWU Admissions Office to reconsider your application for admission? The Admission Appeal Committee meets regularly to consider additional information from students regarding their admission decision. If you would like to submit additional information, visit the Admission Appeal site.

  • Early Transfer Admissions Plus

    Save Time and Money with Early Transfer Admissions Plus (ETA+)

    Are you thinking about attending CWU after earning your two year degree at a community college? You may be eligible for CWU's new ETA+ program, designed to streamline your degree path from community college to CWU. After being admitted to one of the participating community colleges, ETA+ gives you conditional admittance to CWU with access to key university resources including academic major advising, financial aid workshops, and career counseling to help in your degree planning process.

    Designed to streamline your bachelor’s degree path to CWU, ETA+ provides you confidence about next steps in your higher education journey with access to CWU faculty and staff to guide you along your way. Get valuable guidance on what classes to take to get you the degree you want.

    Additionally, ETA+ students receive free application (a $60 dollar value) and fun CWU gear to get you excited about being part of our Wildcat family.

    At the time of transfer, fully admitted students can choose between most CWU locations including main campus in Ellensburg or online, CWU-Lynnwood, CWU-Des Moines, CWU-Pierce County, CWU-Yakima, CWU-Moses Lake, or CWU-Wenatchee.

    ETA+ Eligibility

    • Be currently enrolled at one of our partner colleges (Edmonds College, Highline College, Pierce College, Yakima Valley College, Wenatchee Valley College, or Big Bend Community College) in a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) associate degree program,
    • Have between 0-60 credits (40 semester credits) at the time of ETA+ application
    • Complete the appropriate transfer degree at your participating community college within two years of acceptance into the ETA+ program.

    Next Steps

    1. Apply to ETA+ at CWU. You’ll want to have your unofficial transcripts ready to upload at this time.