Skip to body

Academic Advising

First Year Students

During your freshman year, you will be assigned to a professional academic advisor that can help you:

  • Make the transition to the university
  • Explore majors/minors or other areas of professional study
  • Interpret and learn university academic requirements, policies, and procedures.
  • Become more self-reliant and self-reflective in your decision making
  • Develop an academic plan to earn your degree
  • Connect with appropriate resources on campus

Since your advisor during your freshmen year is likely to have over 200 assigned advisees, you should plan in advance to call or stop by the Academic Advising Center in Bouillon 203 to request an appointment. Walk-in appointments are available on walk-in Wednesdays only.

First Year Experience

FYE helps incoming students maximize their first year by getting comfortable on campus, connecting with the university, and starting to think of CWU as home. Find out more by downloading the FYE brochure.

The University Catalog

The Central Washington University Undergraduate/Graduate Catalog is your official source of information which includes academic policies, university procedures, and detailed descriptions of courses and program requirements. You are given a paper copy, but you are encouraged to use the official online electronic catalog (OEC) that includes any revisions or corrections at:

Freshmen follow the catalog they were given when they first entered the university to complete the general education requirements. Once you are accepted into your major, you need to follow the catalog which was active when you are admitted into your major. As an example, a student admitted into a major during fall quarter of 2008 would follow the major requirements listed in the 2008-2009 catalog.

If you do not attend CWU for two consecutive quarters, excluding summer, you must reapply to your major and follow the requirements in the most current catalog.

The CWU catalog has a five-year life span. As an example, the 2008-2009 catalog expires at the end of summer quarter 2014. For questions pertaining to expired catalogs, see Academic Advising in Bouillon 203.

CAPS Report

CAPS (Central’s Academic Progress System) analyzes the credits you have earned at CWU, the public two– and four-year schools in the state of Washington, and selected out-of-state two– and four-year schools. CAPS provides you and your advisor with information on how your courses meet the General Education, major, minor, and graduation requirements. If you do not understand your CAPS report, you may visit the Academic Advising Center in Bouillon 203 for help. For information on CAPS, and to request your own report, log onto Safari.

University 101

The Academic Advising Center manages UNIV 101, a required course for entering freshmen, that assists students with learning about the University's policies and procedures, selecting a major, advising for general education and other forms of support.