The TRiO mentoring position will consist of both electronic (E-mentoring) and face-to- face mentoring. E-Mentoring is computer-mediated communication (CMC); where computers and social networks are used to communicate or share resources for TRIO student success. TRiO mentoring will be utilized to disseminate academic and career-enhancing resources, information about campus resources, networking activities, events and enhance student connections.
One upper class TRiO student will be connected with several first-year students. The mentor and mentees communicate via the internet a minimum of once a week over a period of 9 months (an academic year). A minimum of three face-to-face meetings are required each quarter, one of which is at the TRiO orientation kick-off event during fall quarter.
The mentor serves as a guide in the school transition process in order to help in-coming freshman to become comfortable with campus life. Your objective goal is help your mentees to become successful in their academic life and continue on into their 2nd year or further.
- Must be a junior or senior TRiO participant
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must be honest, respectful, have integrity, be a good role model
Requirements / Responsibilities include:
- Must commit to the program for one academic year (F, W, S);
- Attend all training sessions, including the required mentor employment orientation and day of training on Saturday the 1st week of classes.
- Be in contact with your mentees a minimum of one time per week by email, Facebook, texting, and/or in person;
- Have at least 3 face-to-face meetings with your mentees per quarter--(this can include workshops, or group social events).
- Participate and help instructors in TRiO’s University 101 classes during fall quarter. (The specific time and day of week will be announced upon hire date and before fall quarter registration) 1 hour, 1 day, per week.
- Be a study skills/major coach per advisor's request for specific students.
- Have a one on one meeting with the mentor coordinator twice monthly to turn in timesheets, mentor/mentee session logs; and input mentor contacts into Blumen, tracking system.
- Fill out progress surveys and evaluation forms as requested.
- Keep weekly journals (e.g., a short paragraph reflecting on the past weeks mentor/mentee experiences)—this will be helpful when filling out the year end evaluations and fpr entering data into Blumen.
- Participate in the TRiO's freshman orientation day to meet your mentee groups and to go to your employment orientation; the Tuesday prior to the 1st day of classes fall quarter.
- Participate in the Spring TRiO Leadership Conference @ CWU; in April 2013.
- Participate in at least one volunteer/ service learning activity each quarter.
- Compliance with all rules and procedures of CWU and the TRiO Program.
- Enjoy this experience and have fun.